1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Full inservice days held on half-day Fridays?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Dominie, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Er no. Or at least they should not do so. They work the same hours as you. They are simply arranged differently. I take it you workin a school which (like those in the former Lothian Region) adopted an asymetric week?
    With the agreement of staff via the union reps, I take it? However, the 22.5 hrs max contact and 35 hour week still apply of course.
    Not ostensibly. You will be working the additional hours. The answer to that (if teachers in the school are as het up as you say) is to have the union reps enter into discussion with the HT to arrive at a modification to the school's working time agreement. The time can be claimed back from other days in which teachers are working on "collegiate activities".

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It seems to me that variations and alterations of the bog standard working week (i.e. 6 period days, 5 days a week) are designed (perhaps not intentionally) to befuddle, blur into the grey area and generally just take the ****. Does anyone know exactly where they stand anymore?
    *bit of a rant, but there just seems to be so many experienced teachers asking for clarification on the obfuscation/complexity of WTA's etc.)

3. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

SSTA, EIS and NASUWT school and area reps saying that - looking at our calendar as a whole (they did some ready reckoning involving non-contact times and other facts and figures) - we have no option but to "do" this inservice.
    The unions have spoken with our Local Authority and said that this was drafted in 2010 and had been publicly available since Summer 2011 so anyone saying "... but I booked a holiday for May 3rd weekend!" won't have a case.
    SMT unhappy with this too and whispering that they might let us go - not easy if we are meant to be hosting feeder primaries that finish at three.

4. I also finish at lunch time on a Friday, but every school I (or friends) have worked in have to work so many Friday afternoons per session - referred to as collegiate working time. Use varies from school to school but tends to be a mix of department time, inset style whole school stuff or staff meetings. Does your school not have this?

5. Local authorities that have many schools with asymmetric timetables do place in-service days in the calendar on, for example, "early finish Fridays" as it usually mops up two to three hours on-site non-contact. The maths of this usually makes sense so you and your colleagues may just have to bite the bullet on this one.
    Under McCrone (while we still have it!) you can absolutely argue to devote part of an in-service day offsite with the agreement of SMT.