1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel strike!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marymoocow, Mar 26, 2012.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

What happens if there is a successful fuel strike? I work along way from work. A typical tank of fuel only lasts about 5-6 days. What happens if I run out of fuel? Do I face losing loads of pay? The last fuel strikes were when I was on a baby break so I wasnt at work. We were on holiday in france mind and that did spoil our holiday as we couldnt use our car duing our stay to make sure we had enough fuel to get us home. My dad even filled his car incase he had to come and rescue us half way through england.

2. I thought the same as I also commute. Luckily I recently got a new car and a tank now lasts a week and a half so I should be ok. I suggest keeping a couple of reserve cannisters if you can, just in case.

3. The last one came to nowt.

4. The last one came to nowt. Big hoo-hah in the media, and.... nothing. A few queues at the petrol stations because of people filling their tanks when they didn't need to because they were worried about the strike.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When there was a fuel strike about 10 years ago or so we were given some sort of official letter to give us priority for getting petrol. We never needed to use them tough.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I recall the last one. I went into work on the bike for a couple of weeks because I needed to save the fuel to pick up blazer major from uni and needed a tankfull for that.

7. I would imagine that you would lose pay for each day you are not attending work. I had my car broken into on a Sunday afternoon when 100s of miles from school - I discovered the damage when I was about to leave to return home. Breakdown people couldn't repair the damage til Monday and the car wasn't fit to drive. I lost a day's pay - my HT told me I should have left my car and got a train back to the nearest mainline station (20+ miles from my home) then used taxis to get to my house & to/from work (30 mile round trip).... as I hadn't she couldn't pay me as I hadn't made (in her eyes) "reasonable efforts" to get to work.

8. I got on my bike during that strike too. Unfortunately I got off it too - quickly and brutally. Spent a few weeks in a plaster cast due to it.
    I'll walk if there's a petrol strike this time.

9. marymoocow

Little miss I think I would make sure I claimed for every claimable mile from now on every time you go on a course etc. Fair enough not to pay you, though as a one off a bit mean, but to expect you to do all that? What planet is she on? Does she expect you to pay to work, because if taxi prices are like ours round here it would cost you 2 days pay in taxi fares.[​IMG]

10. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

My tank lasts me 3 1/2 working days (100 mile round trip - not out of choice -supply). Sort of hoping this strike does happenand depiste losing the pay, will be happy to have the time off :-/ I know this makes me incredibly selfish, but I so want some time off and only been there a fortnight!
    Anywa - off the poor old me bit and back to topic. When is it due this strike - and how have I not heard? Must have missed all the news somehow!
    marymoocow - yes. It does seem that your Head and I would also have different ideas on reasonable efforts! My reasonable effort would entail a four hour walk, bus, train, bus then taxi trip. Your Head sounds like they would expect me to try! Harsh.

11. I'm mildly worried about this one - just in case I go into labour and we're running low on petrol to get me to the hospital. Thankfully hubby's set up that he can connect to his work network and work from home if needs be fairly easily at least.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I lived 6 miles from school 10 years ago when the strike happened. As I'd just filled my tank, I had no problem at all. However, many staff lived a long way away so, in the end, the school had to close.
    Now, I'm on a long term supply contract 20+ miles away so if I don't go in, I don't get paid even if the school does close!

13. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

ah, well yes. I can see the possible concern there .[​IMG] Hopefully not then for you - but at least your huband is nice and organised about it, so should not be too dire for you even if it does come to something. What date are you due (apologies for diverting thread)?

14. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

*** rounf here are queueing at petrol stations.
    Why don't the BBC just shut their gobs. As soon as they say "don't panic buy" everybody does. Every old fart with a car they drive 2 miles a week in will be filling up and clogging the petrol stations. Next there will be no bread in the shops and every old fart with ten in their freezer.

15. marymoocow

too true

16. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Heard the news about the strike vote yesterday - the queues at the petrol station were ridiculous! Panic buying a week or so in advance?

17. [​IMG]
    X
    [​IMG]
    =
    [​IMG]
    *sigh*

18. The army is/are going to drive the tankers aren't they....... if there is a strike.

19. For years, I used to get about in London on an old Honda 90 'scooterette'. It did so many miles to the gallon that I sometimes ran out of petrol as I forgot to fill it up. It was reliable but looked a bit tired and dilaptidated, so i was very surprised to come out of the Tricycle (ironic?) Theatre one night to find it gone.

20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I just heard David Cameron on the lunchtime news exhorting everyone not to panic, then adding it would be a good idea to fill our tanks and any petrol cans we have!
    So I did. Must have timed it right, because I drove straight up to a pump. Very busy as I was leaving, though.