1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fudge using condensed milk?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RW369, May 16, 2011.

1. I reorganised my store cupboard when restocking at the weekend and came across a tin of condensed milk at the back. I probably intended to make a batch of millionaire shortbread at some point but find it a bit of a faff so wondered if anyone has a recipe the uses condensed milk to make something resembling fudge. I want it to be firm for cutting into individual pieces rather than the more gooey caramel that goes onto the shortbread.
    Anyone able to help?

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

3. Si N. Tiffick

found this online!
    397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
    150ml (5fl oz) milk
    450g (1lb) demerara sugar
    115g (4oz) butter

Variations:
    Add the following at the beating stage.

Rum and Raisin
    Stir in 2tbsp of dark rum along with 115g (4oz) of chopped raisins.
    Fruit and Nut
    Stir in 85g (3oz) of mixed dried fruit and chopped nuts.
    Chocolate
    Stir in 175g (6oz) of melted plain chocolate

Method

Grease and base line an 18cm (7in) square tin with baking parchment.

Gently heat all the ingredients in a large, nonstick saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves.

Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, stirring continuously, until a temperature of 116ºC (240ºF) is reached on a sugar thermometer. Alternatively, test the fudge by dropping a little into a jug of cold water. If a soft ball is formed, the fudge is ready.

Remove from the heat. Beat until thick and grainy (about 10 minutes). Pour into the prepared tin and leave to cool. When cold, cut into squares.

Fudge can be stored for up to 1 month in an airtight container.

4. The easiest way to make something resembling fudge is tray bake style, by combining the condensed milk with digestive biscuit crumbs and whatever else you fancy, such as nuts, marshmallows or glace cherries.

5. This makes absolutely spot on fudge! Sainsbury's blue bag brown sugar best sugar to use, having tried others and ended up with runny toffee. Never lasts a month though... [​IMG]

6. Thanks Si, that looks exactly the sort of thing I was after. I'll give it a go this weekend (or maybe tonight cos it looks yummy and the weekend is still a long way away).

7. Well Si's fudge recipe works really well and makes absolutely loads. Having tasted it as plain fudge Mr RW and I think that it needs flavouring and either chocolate or Baileys would be good.
    Note to self - when making fudge use a spoon with a longer handle than just a standard dessert spoon, I have little blisters from being splashed by boiling sugar mix.

8. Si N. Tiffick

Youch! Must try that recipe myself...[​IMG]