1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FS/KS1 interview...help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jessieboo2, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hi I have an interview on Friday and have been asked to teach a 20 min lesson to 30 children in FS2/year1. I can teach any subject I like and have found this quite difficult, especially as I don't know the children. I am thinking of using the book room on the broom and doing a story session on the carpet, maybe using a story sack with items from the story inside - can the children predict what the story might be about? then reading the story and getting the children to discuss what they would take on their broom and why. Or I was thinking of reading the story then the children making their own magic spell or even hot seating one of the characters from the story (probably the dragon). I do realise 30 children on the carpet for 20 minutes might be quite difficult. Any ideas/advice would be great!!! Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personally I think 20 mins on the carpet is a long time for such little ones, unless they've lots of activity/ actions to prevent them coming restless.Plus it gives you less chance to demonstrate how you relate to children as individuals.
    By all means use you idea but I would try to put in some activity e g asking children to find the storysack items (which you've hidden round the class), as they find them asking them to predict what the story might be about etc. The chid who's found the item gets to read that word when it comes up in the story?Then has to hand it on.Or they could invent actions to imitate as you read out certain words?
    Mind you I'm not an EYFS expert, much more experienced in KS2, though I have taught this age range in the past.

3. Thank you for your advice. I also think 20 mins might be too long, I'm just struggling to think of other activities, especially since I don't know the class.

I like your idea of hiding the items around the class. I also thought we could make actions for the story.

Thank you :)