1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FS department! How to make use of areas?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MaeveK7, Jun 16, 2017.

1. MaeveK7

MaeveK7 New commenter

Hi guys
    Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice! I'm in an FS department with about 12 classes our classrooms are quite small but between the classroom we have little spaces I'm just wondering has anyone any ideas for these that can be used during enhanced provision time? I was thinking like a writing one etc? Also we have a big reception area for parents in the department I'm trying to make use of this aswell? What could we have here? Any ideas would be fab and thank you so much in advance!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Wow that sounds like a pretty big school if you have 12 classes. How many children? Unless you meant rooms rather than classes.
    Do the children move between the spaces? If so then yes you probably can make use of little spaces. Can you sketch out a plan of the whole area so that you can see what you have. It's tricky to offer advice when we can't see it. Think about what would fit well eg is there a quiet space that is not a thouroughfare or a space for floor puzzles. What about a place for plants or fish? What do colleagues think. Lots of questions I'm afraid.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If the children move between the classrooms then there are lots of things the little spaces could be used for in terms of continuous provision. I can make some suggestions if that's the case.

If the children stay in their classrooms, meaning the little spaces are quite quiet, you could use them as spaces for teachers/TAs to do intervention work, comfy corners for individual or buddy readers, calm down spaces for children who need a break from the busy classroom, etc.

4. MaeveK7

MaeveK7 New commenter

Hi guys! Thanks so much for your replies! Yeah so there's about 400 children!! No I was thinking some continuous provision areas because our classrooms are quite small? Have you ideas that would be fab! I was thinking maybe of having A big hook/something to do with the theme of the month that the children could see as they walked in? Any ideas? Thanks so much