1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FS and KS1 literacy assessment help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emserata, May 16, 2011.

1. I am looking to standardise the assessment records in key stage 1 (staff have asked for this!). As I am in the juniors I need a bit of help sorting this. What assessment records do people keep? Do you do regular reading records? if so how often? How do you record your phonics etc. What other forms of formative assessment do you use (apart from APP).
    I would be really interested in hear what everyone does, many thanks

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

in FS we use the profile as on going literacy assessment (it's in the guidance that staff should not be asked to complete any additional assessments)
    In KS1 we have reading records which are updated at least once a week - children have a reading record book and staff keep a file containing sheets for each child. We use the criterion scale to assess writing. Phonics is recorded on a whole class grid to show which phonemes/graphemes children know (say the sound and write) the grid is highlighted in one colour for knowing and another if letter is correctly formed.

3. Thank you that is really helpful. I want to keep it simple and straight forward.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. Those links are brilliant, thank you again for your help. I fully expected to be got at in some way when I posted so it is nice to have something do useful!