1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

frying pan to fire?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MoraMe, May 7, 2011.

1. Hi-
    I am just wondering how to approach things- I really suprised myself: despite going through hell at the beginning of the course, I thought I was beginning to get the hang of things, have been handing things in on time, etc BUT: The pressure got to me this week, and I didn't hand in one of my massive essays- the culmination of the whole module. Basically assessment of all 3 modules was within 3 days- crazy! (two 5,000 essays on 6th and a viva/ presentation) I just got so stressed- couldn't think straight/ sleep for a week.
    So- I'm going to have to deal with the consequences of failing, resitting in the summer holidays and possibly delaying getting a job. Not the end of the world. However: after this I am not feelng too hot about my final placement. I'm concerned when thngs really matter, I am just going to freeze/burn out again. When I get overwhelmed by stuff, I tend to want to focus in on detail, rather than see the big picture, which can somewhat shoot me in the foot!
    I'm trying to be practical, thinkng ideas for my placement, and try to work out if there's some way I can deal with info. overload, but its hard!
    Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. I would contact your student advice or support people at the Uni and your tutor for practical help and strategies.
    James

3. thatone

thatone New commenter

Are you by any chance at IOE - timings sounded familiar - just wanted to say how much I sympathise. I am on the part-time Primary there (second year), it is very tough.

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

It may be possible to get your QTS without actually passing your course (you don't say what it is, BEd? PGCE?). So it's possible your job hunt need not be delayed while you sort out resits or whatever.
    Check with your Uni.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Catch up on your sleep as much as possible and try not to think about your essay - just focus on your placement. Your assessment hasn't gone well, but that's done now, and although it's easy to keep worrying about it, like you say, that is really just counterproductive because you can't change anything about it now. What you can do is to do yourself justice in your placement, and prove that this assessment failure was just a blip in your training rather than letting it become the first step in a downward slippery slope. You can do it and you need to show that you can. Good luck!

6. Thankyou so much for all your advice (yes I am at the IOE: the most crazy intense, timetabling ever)
    You are right: it is just a blip, I just so exhausted now- ( and still waking up 2 hours before my alarm clock!) : think it'll take a me a while to get my head into placement mode, but'll get there somehow!

Good luck with your placements!