1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Frying pan and fire...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Cooperuk, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

[This comment/image/section has been removed at the request of the poster]

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2016
  2. Birdie64

Birdie64 Occasional commenter

Good morning... And it is a good morning.

I think, after reading many, many posts on these pages,that sadly there is a sub culture amongst many heads and their SLT which seeks to minimise their salary bill by the only way they know how. - get rid of the expensive teachers by fair means or foul. We older, experienced, flexible, adaptable, talented, highly skilled are simply too expensive and not compliant enough as we have seen the curriculum change so many times that we can predict what's coming next and can see through the proverbial.

I don't know if it's the younger heads or the more established too but certainly the inexperienced heads don't seem to have the ability to use the FTB file enough or to have the confidence to say no and plough their own furrows any more - they are all sheep, blindly following their leader over the cliff edge.

I am left asking were they ever teachers? And what kind of teacher were they ?

My aunt, now 81, left teaching 21 years ago and her theory about heads? Either they were rubbish teachers who were moved along by inaccurate references to get them out of schools OR they had a vision and want to make it happen. God help us all if the ones with the vision are the bullying ones in charge now!

petenewton and finisterre_277 like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

From what I read (on TES & elsewhere) you get it right in your last paragraph:

Not sure what the answer is - perhaps accepting the principle that any teacher on UPS should offer more to the school in return for the extra money (maybe not the original aim of the UPS, but a practical strategy to get acceptance in the school?) or look for a job at (now pay is negotiable) at a lower level?

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@Cooperuk have your read @GLsghost's very helpful thread about workplace stress, which is pinned to the top of this forum?

finisterre_277 likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Several threads here that you need to read @Cooperuk .

Work-related stress: what the law says

Overwhelming workload - what can you do about it?

Possible other careers

But above all what you need to know is that there are large numbers of people on here who understand your plight and are hugely sympathetic. If you really feel down down down, then you need to contact the Teacher Support folk, 24/7, by phone e-mail or live chat. They understand teachers and the pressures and can give you the boost that you need.

Being made to break down in tears by your colleagues is just not on. Totally not. I do wonder if you should be talking to your union about the way that you are being treated, as well as writing to your Head to have a written record of what is happening.

I am just e-mailing to confirm that I was told last week at break time on Tuesday in the staffroom by the Deputy Head that I was instructed to take on responsibility for X and Y. She will doubtless have reported back to you that I was so distressed both by this instruction and by the manner in which it was given that I broke down in tears.

You will recall that in my e-mail of (date) I told you that the constant harassment to take on this additional role was causing me severe distress and exacerbating my existing health issue which has now become so fragile that I have been signed off by my GP.

Something along these lines, so that it is clear that the Head is informed and cannot claim ignorance.

I do hope that your union is being helpful here.

Best wishes of everyone on here go out to you

finisterre_277 likes this.
  6. Cooperuk

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Or a driver on the Underground . . . shorter hours and more pay!

Best wishes

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It was certainly a nice side-line for Michael "Homes Under the Hammer" Wilshaw.

I wonder what he's doing these days? :p

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Internal appointments only these days ... and it also helps to have family working for the firm.

10. Cooperuk

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:D

Best wishes

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

[This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

13. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I've often thought of writing but never seem to find the time to actually put fingers to keyboard, or if I do, I just can't face sitting in front of a computer again!?! Oh well, my millions might have to wait a bit longer.....

14. Cooperuk

15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

[This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

finisterre_277 and Cooperuk like this.
  16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Oh no Cooper! I remember how hard things were last year. Big Hugs. Schools are not what they were that is for sure. There is life outside of schools, I should know. A real life too!

Cooperuk likes this.
  17. Cooperuk

18. Cooperuk

19. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I don't have the wherewithal to comment on your current situation, except to send my very best thoughts and understanding.

I've had two assessments with OH, for two different temporary posts I was offered after leaving a school I'd worked at for 6 years. This followed a longish period being off work for stress and depression caused by workload and obstructive management. Anyway, I was employed by the two places following the assessments. One was face-to-face and the other by 'phone. On both occasions OH were very good and put my health and well being first. I just wanted to wish you luck and assure you the OH interview isn't as half as bad as it appears.

20. Cooperuk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.