1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Frying pan and fire...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Cooperuk, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

I left my last school after a torrid time - management bullying as a result of my refusal to cheat controlled assessments (other staff were rewriting student work for them to copy up).

I have been working in a new school for a little over a year and am now facing bullying again....I wonder: "Is it me?"

I've been instructed to take on an unpaid responsibility by management - they refuse to put anything 'officially' in writing about this responsibility and will only give instruction verbally. I do have some emails about it though. Other staff with similar responsibilities in the same dept have TLR and time.

It is supposedly because I am UPS and therefore have to take on extra unpaid work to justify that status.

My union have stated clearly that I do not have to take on extra work as part of being UPS. which I have stuck to as, to be honest, my classroom teaching role generates enough work without extra to do for no money and with no time provision (the money is not the issue - I do not want the extra workload at any price)

I have been harassed about it, including in front of other staff on the staff room, resulting in me breaking down in tears.

I have a long term mental health condition (declared before taking the job and cleared as fit to work by OH) which has now been affected by this 'management' decision and their actions. The management knew their actions were causing health issues as I told them so via email. They continued to follow their course of action in harassing me to undertake the extra responsibility.

I'm now signed off due to stress/anxiety/depression and have been referred to OH.

I don't think I have the strength left in me to move to another school, even if I could get a job (reference unlikely to be good despite stellar results in my GCSE classes - vindictive HT will see to that).

Is it me? Or are schools just becoming toxic places to work for those people who don't want to be manipulated and taken advantage of? Is it because I am UPS and expensive, so 'managing me out' through bullying is a cost-cutting strategy?

2. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Just me then :p

3. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Hi,

You are not alone, far from it. Sadly, your experience appears to be all too common.This topic would get a lot more attention if you posted it in the workplace dilemmas forum. It gets a lot more traffic it seems: https://community.tes.com/forums/workplace-dilemmas.96/

You will see that many posters have had similar experiences to yours and are more than willing to provide helpful advice. They just don't visit the Health & well being forum as often and probably haven't seen this thread.

I can empathise with your situation. The job has indeed become toxic in many places. Do put your health and happiness first.

All the very best

4. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter