1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Frustration...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Kj90, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Admittedly, I know I am lucky to have been recommended for ongoing rolling supply work at a really lovely nursery school, covering a teacher off sick. However when I started the head teacher was very impressed with my efforts and expressed that she would like me to stay until the summer, starting my induction in the process. She encouraged me to take up the training opportunities on offer, so i put my name down for two courses.
    Fast forward two weeks, and the headteacher leaves unexpectedly. The deputy returns from sick leave (mysteriously) and now I've been given until easter, not allowed to start induction and been told they wont pay for me to go on the courses. Just wanted to vent really, just very frustrated. Felt like I was finally on the way to getting my career on track and now i've been very firmly reminded that im 'just a supply teacher'. Boo!

2. Admittedly, I know I am lucky to have been recommended for ongoing rolling supply work at a really lovely nursery school, covering a teacher off sick. However when I started the head teacher was very impressed with my efforts and expressed that she would like me to stay until the summer, starting my induction in the process. She encouraged me to take up the training opportunities on offer, so i put my name down for two courses.
    Fast forward two weeks, and the headteacher leaves unexpectedly. The deputy returns from sick leave (mysteriously) and now I've been given until easter, not allowed to start induction and been told they wont pay for me to go on the courses. Just wanted to vent really, just very frustrated. Felt like I was finally on the way to getting my career on track and now i've been very firmly reminded that im 'just a supply teacher'. Boo!

3. Tell these malign, self-serving, pompous bast**** that their duplicity is most unprofessional Threaten them with a lawsuit for breech of contract! Scares the S*** out of them.

4. No contract to speak of as a supply teacher! They're allowed to walk all over us and we can only nod and smile...

5. Not true!
    A verbal assurance constitutes a verbal agreement which under Employment Law has legal consequences.
    Threaten them with an industrial tribunal hearing and just watch their jaws drop! The local CAB will dictate legalese letters for you which you can use if they are not listening!??

6. If you can get another school on board even without induction I would ditch this school, keep on looking for jobs and do not worry about letting any schools down when they treat you shabbily.
    Easy to say but it would be good if you could tell the deputy you are finishing the booking, before Easter as it suits you.