1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Frustrated.........

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by 576, Feb 1, 2011.

1. 576

576 Occasional commenter

By international jobs who want to hold face to face interviews in London.
    I'm in my first international job & am in the Caribbean.
    I would've thought that the fact I was already living and working away from my home would've shown that I have 'stayability' and won't run home after 4 weeks 'cause I miss my Mam or the local chippy.
    I can theoretically visit London over Easter for interviews - but it's gonna cost me about US$2000 and it's a 13 hour flight each way out of a 10 day holiday!
    I'm just frustrated!

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

As one of those schools that do face to face in London, er,what do you expect? You think we'll fly over to you? Or perhaps pay for you to visit here? By and large, unless it's a headship, you make you way to the interview however you can, and more often than not, at your own expense![​IMG]
    On the other hand, there are job fairs, although not many schools attend the non London ones, unless it is a fair close to them.
    Recruiting is an expensive business as it is. You may have done a decent job where you are, but there are thousands of other teachers out there who are just as good, and if this is your first outing out-of-town, thousands with far more experience than you.[​IMG]
    My advice, stop whining. [​IMG]

3. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

That's advice? Wow.

4. MisterMaker

I guess you'd rather me sugar coat it?

5. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

Well, 576 didn't seem to be whining. (S)He seemed to be venting her/his frustration. Posting to say, 'Yeah, it's a b*tch!' or 'It's difficult, but you could try this .....' might raise spirits and/or be helpful. You could try that maybe.

6. Would a skype interview be possible? I have seen some adverts where this is an interview method used. Is it worth asking perhaps?

7. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Jaupau - thanks [​IMG]
    I see you have only a few posts - so welcome.
    Tes forums isn't always the nicest place to be.
    As you said - I was venting.
    I think most likely course of action is do another 2 years here by which time mortgage will be nearly paid off so I will be in a stronger financial position.
    Return home - unemployed of course..... [​IMG]
    Get a job in Asda & then have all the time in the world to pop to London for face to face interviews. [​IMG]
    My subject is one which isn't as widely taught as others (like English, Maths & Science) anyway so international vacancies are few and far between anyway.

8. As the above poster said this wasn't a whine but a valid question. Surely a skype interview or a telephone interview may be a feasible way to resolve the situation? Why such a scathing, nasty reply? It is totally demeaning to the OP and not at all helpful.
    I have been reading quite a few posts on this forum and am put off by trying to find answers to questions in case some arrogant, self absorbed poster thinks that my question is totally irrelevant or that I should know the answer already. You were once a new teacher starting out in a new career with questions to ask. Would it kill you to actually try and be helpful?

9. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I don't think so - the information they sent says
    "
    <ul style="margin-top:0in;"><li style="margin:0in 2.45pt 0pt 0in;text-align:justify;" class="MsoNormal">Interviews will be held in ***** and the UK as soon as is possible. Short listing will take place after the initial email and/or phone contact.<li style="margin:0in 2.45pt 0pt 0in;text-align:justify;" class="MsoNormal">The deadline for receipt of applications is ***<li style="margin:0in 2.45pt 0pt 0in;text-align:justify;" class="MsoNormal">The School&rsquo;s normal policy is that no appointment is made without a face to face interview having taken place. For this reason, applicants who are resident either in the UK or in ***** are preferred. <li style="margin:0in 2.45pt 0pt 0in;text-align:justify;" class="MsoNormal">Unfortunately the School is not able to offer to cover expenses of those who travel from other countries to either the UK or *****[/LIST]"
    3rd bullet point seems to make it quite clear that I'm unlikely to even make it into the shortlist for interview unless the other applicants are shockingly bad.
    I might still apply - nothing ventured - nothing gained!

10. MisterMaker

A wife gets back from a short break and greated by a husband. "I've some bad news for you," said the husband, "your cat's dead."
    "That's horrible, you can't just tell me the cat's dead. You could have told me that she was chasing birds in the garden one morning. She chased one bird up a tree, then onto to the roof. She then lost her footing and unfortunately fell off the roof and passed away. That's how you should have broke the news. What else has happened?"
    "Well," replied the husband, "you mother was chasing birds in the garden..."[​IMG]

If it sounds like whining, smells like whining and tastes like whining... [​IMG]

11. MisterMaker

There are some schools that only do Skype, rather than spend the money going to fairs or the UK. They are, of course, the 3rd rate schools you should avoid.
    I'd offer skype only to mop up the last few places; those that get to the interview in London have first bite of the cherry. Even then that would only be stage one, they'd have to meet for a face to face interview before a contract would be offered. Telephone & skype interviews hide a multitude of sins.
    Yoof of today - pretend to 'ard as rocks when really they're fluff.

12. MM you appear to be a self absorbed twa*, whether this is how you mean to appear is debatable. Basically if you can't be encouraging, SAY NOTHING. Of course the OP is frustrated, who wouldn't be in the same circumstances. Your lack of compassion and understanding, and your pompous assertion that yours is a top tier school marks you out as an idiot. I too am a headteacher but I'm a good one!!![​IMG]

13. Well said!

14. Well if it means you may get a job then I guess you will have to bite the bullet and go for it! It may well be worth your while! Good luck whatever you decide to do.

15. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Ditto,
    Although I wouldn't go as far as to say HT's shouldn't be on these forum (plural?), I do think that there should (and more importantly shouldn't) be a way in which they would be expected to respond.
    None of the (excellent) Heads I have worked for would venture to contribute (although they may observe). If they did, they would be professional, tactful and helpful.
    There are Heads who contribute here I guess.
    However, I sometimes find your mode of contributing a bit 'weird' to say the least. Entering into slanderous banter and being rude to posters seems unprofessional at times.
    I compare it to a Head who keeps coming into the staffroom and forces himself into conversation to feel part of the crowd.
    I guess you will come back at me in a similar vein......

16. MisterMaker

[​IMG]What a wonderful cuddly world that would be.
    Yeah, this guy needs compassion. Only two more years and he's paid his mortgage! Unless his home is in Liverpool or Hull, it's probably worth a few Bob. He doesn't need some fruity old headteacher cuddlying up to him (who, knows, maybe you're not old).
    What would you want to hear: If a school only does Skype, jump at it? I'd rather say it as I see and I think warning folk away from Skype only schools is a positive thing.
    We all have frustrations, but noone likes the idiot who constantly strives for attention by venting all the time.
    By who's standards, mate?
    I am rather pompous at times. However, I haven't asserted my school is top tier, I'll leave that, and judgement on my ability as a head, for others to assess. What we do we do well, such as interviewing face to face. Maybe in twenty years time, Skype will have developed into some amazing as if you're there technology, for now it's glorified phone.
    Where's Karvol, when you need him. At least he's semi entertaining to disagree with!

17. MisterMaker

Enter a staffroom? You've got to be kidding. Full of bloody moaning teachers venting their frustration!
    [​IMG]

18. 576

576 Occasional commenter

My 2bed victorian maisonette in south tyneside is not worth a lot & if I do manage to pay off my mortgage at the end of 2013 it will be through nothing short of hard work and sound money management (part of which was not mortgaging myself to the hilt in the first place). It was taken out in 2003 so should not really be complete till 2028!
    I wish I'd never bothered starting this thread now.
    With thanks to those who were able to sympathise (perhaps some even empathise) with my frustration.

19. MisterMaker

I take everything back; Tyneside, you poor ***. No wonder you want to stay teaching overseas. [​IMG] Mind you, sounds like that home of yours must be worth at least 50 quid.

20. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

Oh dear.

"My cat is ill and I can not afford the vet bills."

"Hard sh*t! You should have thought about the financial implications of having a cat before you bought one! Stop whining about your soon to be dead cat!"

OR

"Jesus mate, that's awful! Have you tried contacting the PDSA?"

Your analogy both sucks AND blows!