1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Frustrated NQT in Northern Ireland - Any advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sskilling01, Feb 25, 2011.

1. sskilling01

sskilling01 New commenter

I trained in England at Exeter University, completing a PGCE in Citizenship with Humanities (Secondary). I have now returned home and am doing supply work. Thankfully, I've been quite lucky and managed to get about 7 days per month supply work which I'm very thankful for. However, I'm getting worried about the lack of short term contracts or maternity leaves (I won't even state the shockingly low numbers of full time posts) because I want to get my induction started asap. The time limit is really worrying me and I'm starting to panic that I wont complete this stage any time soon and therefore be unable to do supply.
    I'm wondering if anyone could recommend anyway that I can prepare for the induction work? What I've found on the board websites etc are very vague and my training covered the NQT procedures in England, so I feel like I have very little understanding of what will be expected of me during my BT year.
    Any help in this or of course, tips on how I could perhaps give myself more of an edge in applications/ searches for jobs etc would also be much appreciated! Also, I came into teaching through working as an LSA for a few years and would throroughly enjoy continuing to work with SEN students. So, any advice on how to get more training in this area would be very useful too.
    Looking forward to hopefully hearing some tips (or just commiserating with others in a similar position:)

2. sskilling01

sskilling01 New commenter

I trained in England at Exeter University, completing a PGCE in Citizenship with Humanities (Secondary). I have now returned home and am doing supply work. Thankfully, I've been quite lucky and managed to get about 7 days per month supply work which I'm very thankful for. However, I'm getting worried about the lack of short term contracts or maternity leaves (I won't even state the shockingly low numbers of full time posts) because I want to get my induction started asap. The time limit is really worrying me and I'm starting to panic that I wont complete this stage any time soon and therefore be unable to do supply.
    I'm wondering if anyone could recommend anyway that I can prepare for the induction work? What I've found on the board websites etc are very vague and my training covered the NQT procedures in England, so I feel like I have very little understanding of what will be expected of me during my BT year.
    Any help in this or of course, tips on how I could perhaps give myself more of an edge in applications/ searches for jobs etc would also be much appreciated! Also, I came into teaching through working as an LSA for a few years and would throroughly enjoy continuing to work with SEN students. So, any advice on how to get more training in this area would be very useful too.
    Looking forward to hopefully hearing some tips (or just commiserating with others in a similar position:)