1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fruit jelly

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RJR_38, Apr 23, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I spent last year being very silly and buying 'fruit jelly' when I fancied it (ie whole raspberries in raspberry jelly, blackcurrants in blackcurrant jelly etc) so I decided to make some today. I used the Hartley's sachets of jelly crystals (non sugared), mixed it up according to the instructions and put some frozen rasberries in it. However, it hasn't set. When adding fruit do I need to use less water than I would usually use because of the water content of the fruit? Or should I have defrosted the fruit first? If this isn't it then what else could I have done wrong?

2. In hot weather, always use less water than suggested when making up your jelly...that's what my Mum always told me!
    Also. yes, the frozen fruit may have 'added' water.

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

That's what I thought after I made it! I have still eaten it slightly runny as the taste was still good hehe - I will lower the water next time I make it (which in this weather is only going to be in a few days time)

4. If you're going to use frozen soft fruit like raspberries, I'd defrost them first. In a sieve or colander over a jug. Use the juice that runs out as part of your 'water' for making up the jelly.

5. Absolutely!
    I'm off to turn a watermelon drink into a granita - hopefully!