1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Frugual Cooking Hints and Tips etc

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ljr, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ljr

ljr New commenter

Never buy chicken breasts - for very little more you can buy a whole chicken & cut it into joints: 2 x breasts, 2 x legs, 2 x thighs + enough left on the carcase to make soup - four meals instead of one!

2. Never throw bread away.
    Use bread that is going dry for bread n butter pudding, you can do a Winter version (with an egg and milk mix and raisens and if you like a drop of alcohol) or various Summer versions (with berries and juice and/or alcohol).
    Or soak in milk and squeeze, then use to add to a meat ball or meat loaf mix.
    Or whizz up to breadcrumbs and use to coat or bind or mix up a stuffing.
    Or make croutons and add to soup or a salad.
    Make French toast (eggy bread, Armer Ritter).
    Use to make dumplings (Semmelknödel).
    Oma Leni used to cut stale bread into triangles, dip into melted butter until drenched, drag through a plate of sugar and cinnamon, then fry until crispy - leave to cool (if you can wait that long) and eat like biscuits. Or with hot vanilla sauce drizzled over.
    There is never a reason to throw away bread.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Get used to eating less meat! Number one tip for saving money, I reckon. Reduce meat consumption to 2 or 3 times a week and you're saving a fortune.
    Use cheap cuts or mince most of the time. A little imagination and cheap cuts such as cheek, brisket, belly and lamb breast will go a long way and they taste great. Keep expensive cuts such as steaks or loins as once or twice monthly treats.
    Make a pricey joint of meat go as far as you can stretch it. Made stocks, soups, stews and curries with leftovers.
    Make a chicken go further by buying a pack of chicken wings and throwing them around the bird as you roast it. Cheap as chips, they give everyone something to nibble on alongside a few slices of bird, meaning the bird itself goes further, and they boost your gravy and stock no end as well!
    Get used to eating pulses.
    Go for cheaper, more sustainable fish. Mackerel are lovely, cheap and huge at this time of year!
    Budget extremely tightly and plan all of your meals, basing the ones towards the end of the week around what's going to be left in the fridge.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Grow your own if possible - you get so much more for your money and it is good exercise too!
    Only buy what is in season - it is cheaper and will look and taste better than the asparagus they have in our local Sainsbury's at the moment...a snip at £3 a bunch(!)

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Make friends with local tradesman....especially the butcher!
    Your butcher is a great source for soup bones and off-cuts. ...and giblets that other people don;t want!
    Sometimes 'cheap' works out more expensive.....take a chicken breast....I can get two meals, easy, out of a plump chicken breast from the butcher. If I buy the same size breast from Tescos it is cheaper but it often shrinks to the size of a chicken nugget because it was pumped full of water.
    With meat and fish buy fresh and free range wherever possible. Eat smaller quantities - but the flavour alone is worth it....plus you have the ethical aspect to consider.
    Visit local farm-shops or farmers markets....or look into buying a veg box. (Check out the price of organic veg boxes...for where I live it is actually cheaper than going to the supermarket - and delivery is free!)
    Bulk buy. a large bag of 24 loo-rolls bought on offer will sit in the cupboard until needed and can be half the price of buying two rolls at a time. Please note, bulk-buying Green and Blacks Dark Cherry Chocolate bars doesn't seem to be quite so cost-effective! (They seem to melt and disappear from the cupboard where they are stored...and the dsrk chocolatey smudges around my mouth are in no way conclusive evidence of anythiong untoward!)
    Check-out the Moneysavingexpert website....they have a no-spend freebie forum. In December I picked up free samples - full size ones, not the little one-cup sachets - from three ground coffee companies and miniatures of various alcoholic beverages. (The biscotti Baileys was too sweet for me to drink but went down a treat poured over icecream!)...and you can get coupons for freebies of stuff too - it's well worth a look.
    Lentils are great for bulking out mince...or as an alternative! There was a whole thread I think dedicated to various recipes for Shepherdess Pie!
    Grow your own herbs...even if you just have a windowsill.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Same happens to the ginger ones too!

7. BelleDuJour

We give it to our chickens and they turn it into eggs!

8. egyptgirl

Apparently, people in Britain throw away over 680,000 tonnes of bread and cakes each year...WHO IS THROWING AWAY CAKE???

9. BelleDuJour

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Victoria Beckham? Duchess of Cambridge? Dunno?
    That is a criminal act and should be punishable by force feeding tripe and onions until begging for forgiveness!

10. bizent

bizent Star commenter

WHAT????!!!!!! People are throwing away cake???!!!!
    I shudder!!!
    I've become frugal of late - not throwing anything away. "Let's use up..." is how I plan what to cook (for myself obviously seeing as OH is pre-weened now)

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Throwing away cake?!!!
    Cake is meant to be eatgen! It is its raison d'etre!
    If you do find yourself with extra.....
    Many types of cake can be frozen.
    Cake can be topped with custard for a very tasty and quick pudding.
    Cake can be used for a trifle base.
    Cake can be crumbled and used as a topping for stewed fruit.
    And don't forget that slightly dry cakes can be 'refreshed'.
    Sprinkle a little liquid...milk, coffee,or water over it and then warm slightly in a low oven or the microwave.

12. egyptgirl

Erm...extra cake? What is this?

13. BelleDuJour

I am now craving cake..................the carrot and coriander soup I've goton the hob just won't do it now [​IMG]

14. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Me too - a nice squishy, chocolatey, creamy, fudgy indulgient mess of cake!!

15. BelleDuJour

Oh stop it Biz...................I am putting on weight just reading that! [​IMG]

16. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Yes, the woman is vile, and the others are wet and would annoy me.

Thanks for the suggestions, i'll try one at the weekend of the veg is still in a fot state to be eaten! [​IMG]