1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Frowsty mops in Toilets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

So often there is a smell of frowsty mops in public toilets. I noticed it today in Tate Britain. The loos are cleaned regularly but the mop heads smell mouldy so the stale smell is carried about all over the floors. Have you noticed this anywhere? And do you flag it up? I have a map of London loos in my head so that I can walk round without worrying where my next evacuation point will be. The loos in Kew Gardens smell very fresh and pleasant. There is no excuse for big institutions to allow theirs to smell so frowsty. Or perhaps it is it meant to be an art installation in the Tate? Any comments, all you commenters?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I thought the National Gallery toilets were a bit drainsy last time I was in.

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

The ones in the basement of the British Museum have that sort of cheesy smell that reminds me of the clothes used to wipe the tables in the canteen, when I was at school.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

The British Library ones are always up to scratch.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

No reports from other cities, I see. I can understand though that frowsty loos haven't got the pulling power of Rupert and Jerry.

6. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

What is frowsty? Is it the same as foosty?

Did anybody wear the clothes afterwards?

7. Flere-Imsaho

Other cities?
    Hmm. John Lewis in at least two stores have toilets less salubrious than one might expect.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Last time I went to our local Cineworld the loos smelt rather sh1tty and I (mentally) blamed a woman who came out of the cubicle at the same time as me. I went again yesterday, about two months later, and it smells the same. I think they have a problem.

9. Flere-Imsaho

I confess I am bored with both Jerry's love life and :)eek:) Bowie's death.

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What is foosty?

11. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

Foosty is mouldy or something that has gone off.

12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Our Cineworld is the same. Maybe something to do with the vast quantities of popcorn people ram down their throats all the time.

13. Flere-Imsaho

Fusty?
    Stale, sour, mouldy, spoiled etc.

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

In that case it's the same but you could have worked that out for yourself surely. Or were you just wanting to show us you knew a synonym?

15. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

The Ladies loos in the House of Fraser in Sutton Coldfield always smell strongly of poo. Is that the kind of info you require?

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I was more interested in loos that are clearly thoroughly mopped but still stink because the mops used to mop them are not disinfected. However, it could possibly be useful to me to know which loos to avoid if ever I should visit Sutton Coldfield.

lardylady likes this.
  17. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Glad to be of service :)

Lascarina likes this.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

I used to wonder why the mugs in the staffroom always smelt a bit stale even though they get washed at least twice a day. Then I realised the canteen ladies who wash them up a break used the same cloth for wiping down everything, even the floor.

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ugh!

I went to visit a nursery class once and was horrified to see that the TA had a large bucket of water and a manky flannel that she was using to wipe every child's face with after dinner. 26 3 year olds all rubbed with the same mouldy flannel.

20. Flere-Imsaho

I bet they all had cracking immune systems by the time they started Primary!