1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Frost

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Anyone else get one last night?

Not in the garden or very widespread, but I took the dog out about 8.30 this morning and in a shaded area of the village recreation ground there was actual frost on the grass and not just dew like I first thought. 25th of September, can't remember one so early, in recent years it has sometimes been December before we get one.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Your neighbourhood had a visitor last night:

[​IMG]

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

A light frost on the windscreen of the car at 7.30 a.m. this morning. The wipers didn't clear it but after a squirt of screenwash (which wasn't affected) it cleared after about a minute. Quite a surprise here in the east midlands.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'm not up early enough to witness frost or otherwise now I'm retired.
    I was pleased to be able to enjoy an outdoor swim in the sunshine this afternoon, however.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

we have had frost on the a;llotments in east london.Not wholesale but off spots.wiped ot the top of the marrows but not touched the tomatoes(phew)
    its very early for the time of year so i need to keep an eye out down there

6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

My OH has a Ford van with a heated front windscreen which he had to use to clear the frost before setting off for work. I can't recall ever having a frost in September before.

@smoothnewt where did you do your swimming?

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Yes frosty window Monday and yesterday but not today.
    But warm later on

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The leaves have turned brown & are dropping much earlier than I remember for a number of years, too. Perhaps stressed by the long, hot, dry spell? Recently, it's often been November before there's any significant browning or leaf loss.

Mangleworzle and InkyP like this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Toe-tapping stuff but it will keep your feet warm.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Since I've retired I've taken out an "off-peak" membership at the nearest David Lloyd health club, which has a lovely open-air heated pool, coupled with sun loungers and an outdoor jacuzzi.

I tend to go for a dip early afternoon, and often have the place virtually to myself during the week. Swimming under a blue, late-September sky is just bliss, and a boon to mental well-being.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

*beast*

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Coo - somebody wants to score marks for the use of powerful verbs, adjectives & adverbs (apart from the initial repetition)!

Winter weather of 2018/19 is shaping up to pack more of a punch than last year’s crippling Beast from the East assault, which led to much of the South West and North being crippled by heavy snow.

Arctic downpours could arrive as soon as November before the country is plunged into a four-month whiteout with a battle between the Atlantic and Arctic triggering devastating ice storms.

Supercharged low-pressure systems will smash into Britain laden with moisture just as thermometers plummet triggering paralysing blizzards, experts warn.

Brutally cold weather will be driven in part by plunge in solar activity with subsequent knock-on effects on the jet stream and Arctic airmass, according to long-range forecasters.

And then towards the end of the very lengthy article predicting an Arctic Armageddon in Britain, the following caveat:

Long-range forecasters are still at odds to a definitive winter outlook with some veering towards milder conditions while others are predicting another shocker.

:confused::confused::confused:

coffeekid likes this.
  14. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I remember patchy frost on the last morning of July once (2014?) when dogsitting in the Midlands.

15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Winter weather wise I think a cold late Autumn, snow in December and March, otherwise mild.

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Long range forecasting is based on statistics. We could have another mild wet winter or any variation. The only truth is that the Earth revolves around the sun, and that the axial tilt determines day length. Might as well use the ancient method of looking at the entrails of a slaughtered goat for long term predictions. Carpe diem!