1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fronted adverbials and subordinated clause

Discussion in 'English' started by DENISE4444, Oct 6, 2019.

1. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

Just moved from year 2 to year 5. I have 26 years experience so why am I finding the move so hard. Okay not taught KS2 in over 20 years, terminology in English is just so complicated, I have 'A' level English and I'm struggling with what I am teaching in yr5. Maths I have no problem with but the above terms just give me a headache. HELP!!!!!

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

3. hadiams

hadiams New commenter

I understand! I just moved from primary to secondary English Language and Literature!! ****** does have a lot of resources and powerpoints which are useful. Don't think too much about the terminology; think of what the adverbial clause does.

4. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

Sentences are made of clauses,
    Clauses are made of clause sites,
    clause sites are made of phrases,
    phrases are made of words,
    words are made of morphemes,
    morphemes are made of phonemes.

A sentence like 'I teach' is made up of one main clause - I teach. The clause has two clause sites, the subject and the predicate. The subject I is the agent which engages in whatever verb is in the predicate, in this case teach. The subject and predicate clause sites are made up of single-word phrases, which for the most part we don't call a phrase; a noun phrase in the subject site, and a verb phrase in the predicate.
    A sentence like 'The tall man is over there' is made up of one main clause - the tall man is over there. This main clause, unlike the first example, has three clause sites; the subject the tall man, the predicate is and a compliment over there. The subject is made up of a three word noun phrase the tall man, the predicate is made up of a one word verb phrase is, and the compliment is made up of the adverbial phrase over there. Grammatically speaking, you could move the adverbial phrase / compliment (which is the same group of words, just named from two different levels of linguistic analysis) to the front of the sentence so that it reads; Over there is the tall man.
    A sentence like Captain Picard is always going to be played by Sir Patrick Stewart if I have anything to say about it is a complex sentence made up of a main clause Captain Picard is always going to be played by Sir Patrick Stewart and the subordinate clause if I have anything to say about it. The main clause is made up a subject Captain Picard, a predicate is always going to be played, and a compliment Sir Patrick Stewart. The Subordinate clause uses the preposition if to introduce a clause, and because it has been introduce by the preposition, it cannot stand alone as its own sentence. The Subject of this sentence is the noun phrase Captain Picard, the predicate is the verb phrase is always going to be played and the compliment is the prepositional phrase by Sir Patrick Stewart (you might also pick out that the Prepositional Phrase has within it the noun phrase, Sir Patrick Stewart). The subordinate clause can also come to the front of the sentence in what is called a Left Branching Sentence (but I prefer to call it front-ended); If I have anything to say about it, Captain Picard is always going to be played by Sir Patrick Stewart.
    I hope this gets you started, but the main point to learn is to come at each example from a top down approach, that is, write out your sentence, annotate your clauses, annotate each clause site, annotate your phrases within those clause sites and if you have an adverbial or prepositional phrase in the compliment clause site, you can usually move it to the front of a sentence. If you have a subordinate clause, that too can be moved around.

5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Have never heard of a clause site before! Wild and whirling worlds of grammar!

6. OneLooseCrank

Alright alright, Sara Thorne calls it a Clause Element. Darn those linguists and their naming of things...

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Thorny is A level. The little KS2 kids I coach now would not have a clue about that. Grammar is a huuuuge area.

8. OneLooseCrank

Yes she is :) but obviously, the content the OP has asked for isn't A Level specific as it is being taught at KS2. And if you are going to teach it you probably need to understand the underlying principle behind it. I find that understanding clauses and phrases is easier if you start from the largest units of language, not the smallest. Sara Thorne comes at it from the middle, starting at word level, on up to phrase and clause level and back down to phoneme level... I think my way is more sensible (disclosure, I ain't a published linguist!). I hope that it supports the OP.