1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Front page of today's Telegraph

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Dec 17, 2018.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

A timely article in today's Telegraph, proclaiming pupil behaviour is having a damaging effect on the teaching profession. Well, yes it is, but I kept hoping to read about all the other nonsense inflicted on our demoralised profession - not a whisper about Capability, inept SLT, Learning Walks, etc. I suppose it's a start, but blaming pupil behaviour seems to me a way of letting schools off the hook with regard to the other issues. Any thoughts?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Pupil behaviour and the failure of leaders to come up with approaches to deal with it.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Personally it has nothing to do with the pupils... and everything to do with the attitude of higher-ups.

Getting a bit sick of constant learning walks, book scrutinies, moderation... and the complete and utter lack of recognition for actual effort...

While the approach of ''no news is good news'' is nice... just assuming they are pleased because they never say anything gets irritating.

JL48, BertieBassett2 and InkyP like this.
  4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Well if you claim pupil behaviour is a problem there is subtext that it is the fault of the teacher whereas if you say capability, inept SLT etc is to blame for damaging education the subtext is that it is the fault of someone other than teachers. I believe the Telegraph would much rather blame teachers.

EmanuelShadrack and lanokia like this.
  5. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I'm sick to death of constant low level disruption spoiling and delaying proceedings. Thuggish howling down. Constant interruptions. Childish and offensive comments. It looks terrible to the general public. We ARE discussing PMQs and the House of Commons generally, aren't we?

silkywave and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thanks... made me laugh.

And I agree entirely.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Not with you on that actually.
    Poor behaviour is my number one "I cannot stand this". I can deal with anything else. Management are often knobs, just accept it, we have to produce shoite with our time, well nobody in house is to blame for that. But kids who do not behave sap the very essence out of the act of teaching, and in worst cases, can lead to castigation of the teacher themselves. Horrible.
    The kids who do not behave are not to blame. It is the leadership which allows the kids to believe they cannot behave.
    I have read both on here and in other places frequent surveys or hypotheses about why teachers leave. I cannot find it at the moment, but I do remember a survey from last year stating that over 50% of teachers who had left recently had done so because of poor behaviour, maybe other things too.
    Poor behaviour equals a poor experience for everybody in the room, and as long as it is illegal (and that truly is the only thing stopping me) to spit on the worst offenders, there can only be one person able to change things around. In the blink of an eye. If they wanted to. If they had foresight.
    Head Teachers-sort out behaviour. Zero tolerance of low level disruption, high intolerance of teacher mistreatment or bullying of peers. What is so difficult here? How did we get to a place where an underage miscreant steers the ship of 30 childrens' future success, whilst expert teachers are held back in punitive shackles from being involved in sanctioning them consistently and cohesively?
    Disgusting.
    I've said it before-if I were to have more children I would not hesitate to home-educate, knowing first hand how behaviour impacts in the schools local to me.

8. borges33

borges33 New commenter

It's the parents. It's always the parents.

We can blame everyone from the Government to janitorial staff. However, for me, home is where this all starts. If your child hasn't developed by the age of 3 then it's pretty much an uphill struggle from there. The damage has already been done.

We now face issues like 'lack of resilience' or an inability by young people to cope with the word 'no.' This has nothing to do with teachers, SLT or any other 'higher ups.' It has everything to do with upbringing and parenting, right across all 'social classes.'

In my opinion, of course.

dataholic and stopwatch like this.
  9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Totally agree. The biggest influence on a child's behaviour (and moral integrity/conscience) in any given situation comes from parents.

Don't get me wrong - there are many many good/great examples of excellent and outstanding parenting. However, I think that the amount and level of poor parenting has greatly increased since, I would say, the '80s

10. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Call me old fashioned, but the world seems to revolve around children. We were brought up in an age when children were “seen but not heard” in public. What we wanted was less in important than the adults. Seems it is is totally the other way around now. Small children, especially, do not know what they want, but we'll all wait while you keep asking, rather than get something and be grateful. The worst behaved children in the local school is the Heads. Don’t get me started on tantrums ! Too late by the time they are teenagers. Parents have lost control in many instances.
    *Climbs down from soapbox*

11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The death of teaching came when the unions did not fight Ofsted enough and allowed it to take over. Ofsted has been brilliant at hiding from the public how it works but making very sure the public hear why it works.

Point being, parents and the public hear Ofsted say 'we are there to ensure standards, keep teachers working hard for your children and making sure you have real choices' they buy it, as would anyone not linked to the profession.

It is too late now. Eventually Ofsted will back off so the profession becomes attractive to join again but then they will revert to type and start destroying it again.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Unions are simply their members. There was never any chance that the union members (split as they were between several unions, plus those not in one) would support action against OfSTED at that time.

13. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I always maintained that teaching should be a closed shop, but no chance!