1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From Year R to Year 6

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by MShaw1985, Jul 21, 2020.

1. MShaw1985

MShaw1985 New commenter

Hi Everyone.

In previous schools I have worked in all different year groups.
    But since starting at this school 2 years ago I have only worked in Reception.
    This year I put down years 3,4 & 6 as my preferences, thinking I would like a change.
    I have been given year 6 (AHHHHHHHH).
    I know I am more then capable but am still a little worried.

Has anyone else moved from Early Years to 6???

Need to brush up on Victorians and WW1 and WW2 and math's and spelling and spag and the correct terminology for things. For two years I have been phonetically sounding easy words out.

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hi
    I had a year where I was between y1 and y6. It was difficult! At least you will just be year 6. My advice- chat to the teacher. Find out their stance on behaviour as you will both have to be singing from the same page. You will need to look at the maths and english (including spag and spelling) as it is immense! The topics like Geography, History, Science, Art, Pshe, DT, Music and RE you can pick up as you go along. You will find the children are a lot more independant, however the difference in the amount of work they do is massive! Once you get your head around the first year, you will be fine. Good luck!

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi MShaw1985, you'll love it! I've worked in every year group (not surprisingly, across 30 years in primary). I started out as a nursery nurse and have now been an HLTA for more than 10 years - the last five in Year 6. It's the best!

You will need to brush up on Maths, SPAG and spelling. You can, of course, wait until term starts and learn alongside the children - but I know I'd be tempted to get a head start! You could invest in the CGP study guides - KS2 Year 6 Maths Targeted Study Book and KS2 Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling Study Book. They're only about £5 each and really will get you started and build your confidence.

Another idea, if your school base much of their English learning around a text, could be to find out from the class teacher which novel Year 6 will be starting with and read it yourself before term starts.

Don't worry too much - you'll be fine. Have a great summer break and look forward to your new adventure!