1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From Year 6 to Year 1- interview help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsBauer, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have an interview for a y1 job. I have never taught infants before and I need to prepare a starter for maths calculation (some Y2 children in the gp- generally bright but mixed ability). Has anyone got any ideas that they'd be willing to share? I feel a little lost at the minute...

Thanks

2. Hi,
    I have an interview for a y1 job. I have never taught infants before and I need to prepare a starter for maths calculation (some Y2 children in the gp- generally bright but mixed ability). Has anyone got any ideas that they'd be willing to share? I feel a little lost at the minute...

Thanks

3. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

What are you thinking of doing? My Year 1s love team games and 'show me' type things with number fans or fingers/cubes etc. e.g. we have just done number bonds and played a game with the dice where we rolled it and they had to show how many more (on their fingers) we needed to get to 8, the Fastest Fingers got to roll the dice next.

4. Thanks for your ideas. The problem is that I don't know what to do! I really want to impress and challenge the children but I think all my ideas are too hard! Just wondered if anyone had any tried and tested ideas/activities as I'm at a loss!
    One idea I had was to do a quick game with odd/even numbers then a card matching activity with bonds to 10, then get them to see if they could spot that odd+odd and even+ even makes 10...although I wonder if it's pitched right and if it's a little boring! Should I be singing and using puppets??

5. inq

inq

Mine love singing - there is an AC Black book with musical songs (its red and at school!) and includes such classics as 'We have all got calculators in our heads' which is sung to She's coming round the mountains and they join in with answer to a calculation. I wouldn't do this as a whole mental/oral starter though. We tend to do it in the few minutes after getting ready for lunch and the bell going or after we're ready to go home and we're a minute early.
    Mine love games - complements bingo is a favourite at the moment - they write down 3 numbers less than 10 (or 20) and I call out a number, if they have the number that adds up to 10/ 20 they cross it off - first to cross out all 3 gets a sticker!

6. I think going down the odd/even route is a bit risky - most of my Y1s would find it very hard.

7. Puppets are always good and the children respond very well to them. A simple way of using a puppet is for the puppet to be confused and the children help by correcting it. Mine love that. I did a 10 minute shape lesson with Year 3 on my interview where my puppet (a monster puppet) had got into my shape bag and mucked all my shapes up which were sorted.
    He had mucked up my 3d shape pictures and descriptions so i started by setting them off to music to find their pair shape. I then gave a litte input on the vocab.
    He had also mucked up the solid 3 shapes Their job was to sort them out for me by describing and categorising. I taught them the vocab and they had to use it to describe the shapes to the other children.
    You could do a similar thing with a naughty puppet for any number starter.