1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From Vacant to engaged

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Miss Piggywig, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

I read Alisters Blogg and love many of his ideas, I am thinking of getting his book for summer readering. Anyone who's aready got it, would you receommend it or does it cover most things on his blogg? Thanks

2. Miss Piggywig

I read Alisters Blogg and love many of his ideas, I am thinking of getting his book for summer readering. Anyone who's aready got it, would you receommend it or does it cover most things on his blogg? Thanks

3. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

It is rather thin and mostly things you will already know from reading his blog BUT I do recommend it as I've found it so useful to be able to lend it to other members of my team who are less computer literate than I am. It has nice sized photos to illustrate points and is really easy reading. Worth it I say to have everything in one place that is easier to navigate than the blog.

4. suffolksmiler

suffolksmiler New commenter

I think it covers most of his ideas on the blog!!!!!
    But as said before may help you train staff on new ideas..... roleplay?

5. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

I'm afraid the title puts me off. Are we saying that young children can be compared with toilets?

6. <font size="2">How interesting I
    did not come up with that analogy! </font>

I have seen many children in reception classes wandering aimlessly
    during free flow or child initiated looking 'vacant' so reading Alastair's blog
    made me think about them and how we can 'engage' them meaningfully in
    activities that will stimulate and enable learning!

7. I've been reading Alistair's blog and I LOVE it. It's given me a lot to think about for next year. He's very generous to put all that online when he's trying to make a living from consultancy. It all makes me very tempted by his book; however £17.99 for 64 pages??? That is a heck of a lot of money per page!

8. Miss Piggywig

I agree thats why I asked, I think I will keep following for a while.
    Thanks everyone.

9. Got mine for £11.99 on amazon a while back? WHSmiths were similarly priced ... found it very useful, lots from original blogs but handy to have it in paper format too!

10. Alistairs Blog - what is this please - think I'm missing out here.
    Thanks

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

12. Thanks Msz,
    I will take a look.
    [​IMG]

13. Hm. A tenner on Amazon marketplace and recommended by a new colleague - I've gone for it! I'll do a review when it arrives! x

14. Miss Piggywig

I'll look forward to your review.
    Thanks

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Mine came a couple of days ago. Probably nothing there that isn't on his site, but having all the information to set up a classroom from scratch (sort of thing) in one place with nothing extra is well worth the money.

I'm also expecting to need it to convince my SLT of some of the theories and so having a book will be better than trying to show them on a website.

It is a nice looking and easy to read book with lots of pictures...what's not to like!?!

I'm expecting that this book and Moving on to Key Stage One will become my bibles over the next few months.

16. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you get the chance to attend one of his conferences I can highly recommend the experience

17. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

you might like The Reception Year In Action by Anna Ephgrave it has some great ideas and lots of photographs.

18. notascientist!

notascientist! New commenter

I received notification last night that the new book has been despatched! ;-)

19. Agree with Msz his conferences are fantastic and well worth the money!