1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From UPS1 to UPS2

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by amunt, Jan 22, 2011.

1. amunt

amunt New commenter

Hi I went through the threshold in June 2004 and that September I moved to a new school as Head of Department. I left there after 3 ½ years. I’ve been doing other things outside teaching and I’m back in a job and I’ve just realised that I’m still on UPS 1 (I assumed I’d have moved up to UPS2 after 2 years in previous job). I’m very bad at keeping track of finances and pay and I know it’s my fault for not noticing at the time. What I’d like to know is if it is all my fault (i.e I should have applied for increase) or can I make myself feel better by blaming the Head at my previous school for not putting me on UPS 2 after two years. It would not have been for performance as I was repeatedly praised by senior management for achievements and I always exceeded my agreed targets.
    So, is it all my fault?
    Many thanks

2. amunt

amunt New commenter

Hi I went through the threshold in June 2004 and that September I moved to a new school as Head of Department. I left there after 3 ½ years. I’ve been doing other things outside teaching and I’m back in a job and I’ve just realised that I’m still on UPS 1 (I assumed I’d have moved up to UPS2 after 2 years in previous job). I’m very bad at keeping track of finances and pay and I know it’s my fault for not noticing at the time. What I’d like to know is if it is all my fault (i.e I should have applied for increase) or can I make myself feel better by blaming the Head at my previous school for not putting me on UPS 2 after two years. It would not have been for performance as I was repeatedly praised by senior management for achievements and I always exceeded my agreed targets.
    So, is it all my fault?
    Many thanks

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

There's little chance of your current school approving progression on anyhting but 2 successful PM reviews at the school. Make sure your head and PM reviewer are aware that is what you want, send the letter of notification to your head at the right time, make sure the word 'successful' appears on your PM review statements.
    Yes, it probably is your fault but don't beat yourself up about it, people do much sillier things and the milk is spilt.

4. amunt

amunt New commenter

Thanks becktonboy
    I'll do that. I've learnt my lesson from all this spilt milk -I'll have been on UPS 1 for nearly six years with all my targets met!