1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From Teaching to HLTA

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Oliviaa91, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Oliviaa91

Oliviaa91 New commenter

Hello all :)

I'm a Primary Ed degree holder with QTS but due to me having a baby and having complications at the time i didn't go into teaching and so i haven't completed my NQT year.

Due to this i'm now at the final year i can do supply work (graduated in 2014), but when i signed up today because it's been such a long time since i taught the consultant said it would be a very slim chance of me getting a long term NQT role before this academic year is done.
    I'm disappointed but not surprised as i would have expected after such a long time i wouldn't be 'first pickings' as it were..

I've looked into refresher teaching courses but i can't find any that have come highly regarded.. Or they seem questionable asking for up-front payments.
    So i've decided to look for a HLTA role instead.

I've rung the school and asked for a visit prior to me handing in my application but i have no idea what to expect.
    It's been a long time since i had a school visit (that was actually for me and not my son!) so any tips on that and being an HLTA would be great?

2. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

Read the job description and feel the school. You’ll get an undersnding whether it’s for you...

3. murphymaxine

murphymaxine New commenter

Hi, just be careful to ensure are very clear about your role before you accept it.
    I am a HLTA PT and teach 11 hrs over 3 days and Im a TA for two lessons. Most schools want to get the most out of their HTLA’s - teachers ‘on the cheap’. I’m doing a teacher’s job; planning, preparing, marking, entering data etc but on £13 per hour! I have low level, small groups which are difficult to differentiate. I am a qualified teacher, with an HND in Business & a First Class Honours Degree in Education and I have previously been Programme Leader and Curriculum Manager.
    However, if you want to get teaching expetience I guess something like this might suit you.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

Hello,

Currently, I am also working as a HLTA. I carry out interventions in the morning. In the afternoon I cover PPA in classes four times a week. I have to plan, mark and write reports on one of the subjects I teach. I love the interventions and can really see the impact of them which is very rewarding. Regarding the afternoon sessions, I have lots of marking. It is time consuming. I am lucky, I am given PPA but I still can't possibly squeeze all my work into 35 hours a week and easily do about 40 - 45 hours a week (excluding the lunchtimes when I am swapping classes). Also working as a HLTA means you are paid PRO RATA and this really decreases your wage.

agathamorse and TEA2111 like this.