1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From Teacher to Cover Supervisor...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thewritingsupply, Nov 25, 2017.

1. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

Just looking for advice really. I’ve been teaching for 5 years, in the same college. This year, I opted for a part time contract so that I could fill my other two days with other work within my skill set/expertise on a freelance basis - I also kept my foot in the agency door so to speak and when freelance work runs dry, I opt to do some cover supervisor work on these days.

I have an interview for the role of Classroom Supervisor next week, and it’s effectively being treated like my interview was for my teaching role - student panel, principal interview, 1 hour lesson obs and a writing task.

Anybody got any idea what sort of questions I would need to prepare for?

I am leaving my teaching post effective from the end of Dec having handed my notice in already.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

They might ask you how you would handle behaviour management issues. Also, safeguarding issues. What you would do in certain situations.

cys2017 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. thewritingsupply

Thank you for that help.

Do you think that because I have been a teacher for 5 years they will expect me to undertake a full teaching role (doesn’t say this in the JD), or they would expect my lesson to make use of starters, mini-plenaries and AfL? I only ask as other job roles I got interview invites for only required a 20 minute observation, for this role it’s a 1 hour - maybe this is now standard practice for Cover/Classroom Supervisor roles... (you may not have answers or any advice for these Qs do this is really for anyone reading who has been in the position of going from teaching to cover supervisor role and could offer advice).

Also, my PGCE is only in Lifelong Learning - even if it wasn’t I assume it wouldn’t matter anyway for a school/academy based cover/Classroom Supervisor role anyway?

Lengthy post, and on a Sunday morning as well! Apologies for this...

pepper5 likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

CS roles attract about half the salary of teachers for roughly the same job.

I assume you are aware of this ?

5. thewritingsupply

Yes, I am aware of this. I have freelance stuff that I am doing which makes up the shortfall and I need a role which involves less planning and marking and prep time which is why I am looking at going for a permanent CS role, enabling me to spend more time on the freelance industry stuff.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The school may be looking to hire someone who can teach but they will pay them CS rates and this is what it sounds like to me.

cys2017 and les25paul like this.
  7. thewritingsupply

Yeah, that won't be happening then. I'm gonna go through the interview process and post my experience of it on here and will also be asking about planning/marking in relation to this role as it isn't a teaching post.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes, don't make up your mind until you have the interview and get more information. It may be that they will provide all the resources and all you are required to do is supervise lessons.

Have a good look around the school grounds before you go in. Are the grounds clean and tidy? That is a good sign. If there is litter and rubbish strewn across the flower beds etc, not so good.

Are there students running along corridors or does everything look peaceful?

Notice how the classes enter and leave the classroom.

Notice the faces of the staff. Do they look calm or is there a haggard look on their faces?

Notice the room you will be in. Does it look tidy and well kept, or is there clutter everywhere? Try to glance in rooms as you go by to see if the rooms are generally well maintained.

Notice the displays on the walls. Do they look well cared for? If they look ripped or old, not a good sign.

thewritingCS likes this.
  9. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

L would consider a permanent CS at the moment, because financially it does make sense an for example there is a school near me, who is offering up to near enough £20,000 for an experience person to full the role, I accept that if the CS as QTS then there is more then a temptation for the school to use them as teachers, rather then CS.

But for some it is the regular income that is the key factor and I know of more then one schools, where the CS is a qualified teacher and it suits them to be a CS.

10. thewritingsupply

Yeah, by the way, is it OK if I copied some of the specific responsibilities in here from the JD or is that a no-no???

11. thewritingsupply

This should read 'is it OK for me to copy some of the specific responsibilities to this post from the JD?'

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

CS pay terms tend to be like those for TAs. They quote the full-time equivalent salary in the adverts but the hours required are usually no more than 25 per week (just the max lesson time per week) and f/t is considered 37.5 hours. In addition, they usually state that you are employed for the 38 pupil weeks plus, usually, 2 or 4 more weeks for INSET and work required when pupils are on holiday. You then get about 4 weeks of holiday pay. That makes 44 to 46 weeks per year. Annual pay is then divided between 12 equal instalments. If the CS £20k is indeed calculated as per TA pay, the maximum that could be earned per year is actually just under £12k gross.

13. historygrump

Jubilee I do not think I have got an interview anyway, I suspect that they think I may be over qualified for the job, which is sad, but things may change.

14. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@historygrump: I know this is a bit 'off topic' but I wondered about qualified teachers being employed as TAs and CSs. A few years ago, I applied for a number of TA and HLTA jobs, without success. Interestingly, at one interview, which seemed to be going well, I was told that I would need the NVQ qualification, even though I had QTS. The school said it would be willing to offer me the job if I would do the NVQ course but it would have to find out about it. The school did get back to me, only to explain that, as I had QTS, they could not get funding for me to do the NVQ.

15. historygrump

Jolly_Roger, I sometimes think it depends on the school in my humble opinion, in that some schools do not want teachers as TA's in that it puts the permanent teachers in a difficult position. In that it is like being permanently observed and judged by a peer, rather then a unqualified support staff member, but you would think that for a CS role, it would be beneficial for a school to have a qualified teacher as CS, and I know of schools were some of the CS are qualified teachers. They are happy with a regular income and the school are happy as well.

16. zappaphillius

zappaphillius New commenter

Why would any qualified teacher who has worked hard for QTS and their degrees demean themselves, others and the entire teaching profession by even thinking about a CS role dreamed up by disingenuous government officials and brainwashed schools?

This sort of behaviour lowers the status of the teaching profession for EVERYONE! There is supposed to be a severe shortage of qualified teachers so what is happening???

CaroAlvarez likes this.
  17. zappaphillius

Why would any qualified teacher who has worked hard for QTS and their degrees demean themselves, others and the entire teaching profession by even thinking about a CS role dreamed up by disingenuous government officials and brainwashed schools?

This sort of behaviour lowers the status of the teaching profession for EVERYONE! There is supposed to be a severe shortage of qualifiedteachers so what is happening???

18. zappaphillius

This sort of behaviour lowers the status of the teaching profession for EVERYONE! There is supposed to be a severe shortage of qualifiedteachers so what is happening???

19. zappaphillius

20. zappaphillius