1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From TA to teacher - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by oxfordunited, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Have been working as a TA for two years, and have recently passed NVQ2 supported teaching & learning. I don't have a degree, is it possible to qualify to become a teacher?

2. Have been working as a TA for two years, and have recently passed NVQ2 supported teaching & learning. I don't have a degree, is it possible to qualify to become a teacher?

3. Hi,

As
    you are probably aware, teaching is a graduate profession, so you will need to
    be qualified to degree level before you can gain Qualified Teacher Status
    (QTS).

The
    options available to you will depend upon the subject or age range you wish to
    teach. If you are interested in teaching at Primary level, you may find that a
    Foundation degree would be a suitable route for you to take. As you are already
    working within a school a Foundation degree would allow you to study whilst
    continuing to work as a TA, and eventually you could top this up to a full
    degree. You can find more information about Foundation degrees at the following
    page of the TDA website:

www.tda.gov.uk/support-staff/developing-progressing/qualifications-credit-framework/foundation-degrees.aspx

Once
    you have a full degree (or the equivalent) in place you could apply to do the
    Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP), which would allow you to be employed as an
    unqualified teacher in a school (your current school may be happy to support
    you for this) as you gain QTS.

If
    you are interested in teaching at secondary level, your best option would be to
    do a Bachelor’s degree in your chosen subject that includes QTS as part of the
    course. You can search for suitable courses at local universities and colleges,
    or on the UCAS website.

Whatever
    route to QTS you decide to take, you should find that your experience as a TA,
    and your NVQ2 in Supported Teaching & learning will be extremely beneficial
    in strengthening your application, and will be viewed positively by training
    providers.

I
    hope that you are able to find a route that suits you, and that you will go on
    to have an enjoyable teaching career.

Stephen
    Hillier, TDA

4. Hi there,

Im a TA and will be starting my teacher training (via School Direct) in September. I will be training at the school in which i currently work as a TA. I wanted to know from your experiences the challenges TAs training to become Teachers face and how to deal with them.

Specifically, i'm thinking about children's perceptions of me and how i will gain the same respect as their teachers, given that TAs are viewed differently by pupils.

Thanks in advance!