1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From TA to GTP in an independent school.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by GeorgiaT22, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Right so this is my story... I am a Junior School Teaching Assistant in a top London Independent School, it is a one form entry school and all infant classes have a TA. This is my second year of teaching at the school, I have taught dance to 4 - 14 yr olds for 7 years and have a degree in Performing Arts. My scenario is... I really want to qualify as a teacher, a really want to do my GTP at this school. There is a an NQT in the junior school and a P.G.C.E student in the senior school so I know there not completely closed to the idea of having trainees. I've dropped hints to the Head of Junior and all the other staff members and everyone thinks I should speak to the Head about doing it at the school and have showered me with really genuine praise, lots of responsibility above my station and I absolutely love my job and the people I work with I'm just ready to be qualified now. The school has never had a GTP and I don't know if it is possible to do in a one form entry school. The class teacher I am the assistant for said she is more than happy to be my mentor, would love to do part-time and is ready to retire as soon as I qualify, this is all sounds perfect to me! So my problem is where do I start, I've made a list of how it can benefit my school and now I am stuck. What do they need to do for me to be able to do my GTP there, do I still need to speak to a University, should I approach the Governors too?? Any help, information, points of view etc would be much appreciated.

2. Right so this is my story... I am a Junior School Teaching Assistant in a top London Independent School, it is a one form entry school and all infant classes have a TA. This is my second year of teaching at the school, I have taught dance to 4 - 14 yr olds for 7 years and have a degree in Performing Arts. My scenario is... I really want to qualify as a teacher, a really want to do my GTP at this school. There is a an NQT in the junior school and a P.G.C.E student in the senior school so I know there not completely closed to the idea of having trainees. I've dropped hints to the Head of Junior and all the other staff members and everyone thinks I should speak to the Head about doing it at the school and have showered me with really genuine praise, lots of responsibility above my station and I absolutely love my job and the people I work with I'm just ready to be qualified now. The school has never had a GTP and I don't know if it is possible to do in a one form entry school. The class teacher I am the assistant for said she is more than happy to be my mentor, would love to do part-time and is ready to retire as soon as I qualify, this is all sounds perfect to me! So my problem is where do I start, I've made a list of how it can benefit my school and now I am stuck. What do they need to do for me to be able to do my GTP there, do I still need to speak to a University, should I approach the Governors too?? Any help, information, points of view etc would be much appreciated.

3. Hello,
    I am in a very similar situation, and would love to know how you got on. I really want to know if you can do GTP in any school, or whether they have to linked to an educational institution. Also whether you are basically class teacher from the word go, or whether you slowly take on responsibility for the class as the year goes on. I can't see how the school could afford to pay me (even unqualified teachers salary) if they have to pay another teacher for the class as well.
    How did you approach the subject with your head? Our school has students in often, but I don't think they've ever had done GTP.
    Thanks.

4. I am in a similar situation too. I understand that it works this way though - A GTP student could be placed with a working deputy head who would give a high level of mentoring. The GTP student would release them for their other duties as they take on more of the teaching over the year - until you are teaching for 80% of the time. Some GTP providers want you to have a school placement first and others will place you in schools. All very confusing and doesn't help when there are so many people after the limited places. It all depends on the schools finances at that particular time. With the proposed reduction in funding from government - I would presume that these places are going to be harder to come by and harder for schools to fund - whether they would like to or not.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The GTP situation is changing next year with the Schools Direct service it will be the schools who identify the GTP opportunity and then liase with a university to buy into the programme. Independents do not receive state funding so your school will have to make a financial commitment to employ you as a teacher and pay for the training, this would be a considerable investment so you need to present a good argument about why they should invest in you.