1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From supply to full-time. Any way in??!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by supply slave, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Very difficult - I am Science and still finding it tough. Just have to keep plugging away and hope that one day you hit the jackpot! You are of course correct - supply is dead.

2. You've hit the nail on the head.
    Supply can actually go AGAINST you as head teachers see a bitty cv and question - why has this candidate not got a permanent job? They need to look past their nose and appreciate the wealth of experience a supply teacher brings with them.
    There is also an arrogance I have seen in a few depts. towards supply teachers - why, if you are any good are you on supply!? This tends to be the thought.
    I am as good as permanent colleagues and some have had their faces put out by this as it went against their internal inner voice arrogance and prejudices. Many have become complacent with their little cushy permanent positions and the security this brings with it. Many have never done anything else than school, study and then teach.
    I have been asked this at an interview whilst another dep. head exclaimed "Who on earth would want to do supply?".
    Who indeed?
    Unfortunately, it is one of the only few ways for us teachers to get the experience or even a look-in.
    The unions should be doing more to improve our lot, working conditions and status. They take our subscriptions.
    The cover supervisor sit. has been the death knell for many and there are teachers on this forum who are paid cover supervisor rates (little more than a TA) to go in as teachers, but wear the badge and cap of the cover supervisor. They are teachers and NOt cover supervisors, but such is the market and folks have got to pay bills.
    I am sure there are some enlightened heads out there. But our lack of up to date curriculum training does not help matters and it has to be an enlightened HOD who will help a supply teacher develop professionally and include them in things. I am sure they exist, but there do not seem to be that many about.

3. I think you're absolutely spot on, I honestly believe schools view supply teaching as second rate and are actively suspicious as to why anyone would want to do it. For many, including myself, supply is not an enjoyable experience at times. I've often felt looked down upon and shunned by full time staff and this can affect self esteem and confidence to succeed in securing long term work.
    It is also getting to the stage where each full time role that is advertised is receiving 100+ applicants and even the most positive and optimistic teacher with a supply focused CV knows that their forms are almost certainly the first in the bin when a short list is being drawn up.
    Traditional supply teaching is dead, agencies won't admit it to the qualified teachers on their books but schools are no longer requesting them, and the agencies (who are not legally obliged to insist that TEACHERS get first refusal on work) are supplying cover supervisors instead. In my opinion, this needs to be addressed through the unions and potential legislation.
    I have had some extremely rewarding moments in my 8 years of teaching experience and met some amazing people, young and old, but am feeling like I am being forced out of the profession and towards the scrap heap. I feel the time has come (possibly past!) for me to look at other options. I feel like throwing my CV away and starting from scratch, just name and address!
    Anyone else been forced out? Any ideas on what the options are for ex teachers wanting to use their skills in other fields?

4. Yep. Wise words indeed.
    In my opinion, backed up by what I do is that you have to work hard to make money. Sadly, you cannot choose big holidays, lovely pay, a pension scheme with bells and whistles, early finish time, or even the ability to put your education and knowledge, as well as ability to work.
    You have to take a job and accept "less". It isn't very nice, but denying the reality will result in skint misery. I chose the self-employed route. I do something which is totally and utterly a million miles away from chemistry and teaching. The closest thing I do is troubleshoot broken or misbehaving machinery. I also do it for nothing and understand that my lack of NI contributions and pension mean that the success of what I do is critical to my future......Not very nice, but the alternative is sitting around, putting application forms out fighting the unstoppable tide of NQT's poured forth by this insane education system selling the secure job dream (aka bums on seats = ££££)
    I keep an eye on the jobs section and note that there are a couple of science posts. However, I am sure there are upwards of 300 chasing each one now. Maybe more. Totally bloody mad!
    We occasionally use agency staff (for menial work of the worst sort) and the talent and experience from all fields who come in looking for a lucky few quid is sobering.
    This isn't just about teaching, there is a critical structural problem in employment/demographics.
    It's a very big and serious mess and chucking more people through "Yooni" is no solution. There are too many people and not enough jobs, meanwhile the price of everything means that many will not achieve the half decent life they expected.....
    A lot of graduates with good degrees will be looking at patchy and underpaid work, or they have to be the employer of some. The positions on the gravytrain are increasingly fought over by increasing hoardes and despite the best lib-dem equality nonsense legislation, human nature is again at it's best in the recruitment process....
    It's a shame a lot of us can't gain the inside edge from supply anymore.
    Meanwhile those on the train think it's all rosy outside and their unions are perpetuating the problem.
    I suppose you could always start spitting out kids and go on the dole.

5. Read this with interest and felt I had to leave a comment.
    Yes there is less and less supply around, but having spent the last 3-4 years as a supply teacher doesn't have to go against you when trying to get a permanent post, you just need to present it in a way that turns it into a positive.
    Take a look at this thread on the jobseekers forum, and if you do feel that you need help with the application process, especially with your concerns about supply going against you, try asking for advice on there. It is really supportive and the advice is great.
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/356862/5029073.aspx#5029073
    (I'm sorry that this isn't a hyperlink, I don't know how to do those)
    Best wishes
    S4mm13

6. Thanks very much for this, there are some really interesting points on there and some constructive advice. I still feel that a lot of schools are fundamentally prejudiced against teachers who have spent long periods on supply and won't look past this when short listing for interview. I hope I'm not coming across as overly pessimistic but just speaking from experience, (maybe more than just slightly disheartened and disgruntled by the whole thing!)

Many thanks though

7. I felt exactly the same even though i've been doing supply for less than a year and being an NQT. Application after application with nothing back, but eventually someone saw something in my application, invited me to my first interview and they gave me the job!
    I'm not saying this to blow my own trumpet (although i'm still feeling very pleased with myself) but to let you know that there is hope for those of us that have found ourselves on supply, for one reason or another, and are trying to get our foot in the door and in on a more permanent contract.
    All i can say is the very best of luck and do use the jobseekers forum for the support, I wouldn't be where i am now without it!
    S4mm13