1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From Secondary to Nursery...How?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by alexandradubz, Dec 8, 2018.

1. alexandradubz

alexandradubz New commenter

I have been a secondary D&T teacher for a few years now and after spending some time volunteering in a nursery. I have decided i want to move to early years as my passion lies at this foundation stage.

I asked getintoteaching whether i will have to do Level 3 in Early years they replied that i am qualified for 3 years old children and above but recommended getting more experience with varied ages in early years.
    I have not applied for jobs as i do not yet feel confident in how to best teach this age. Without doing a one year level 3 course how could i better understand how to support these children?

I am part time with a young child so i do have a couple if days free.

How have orher secondary teachers approached changing ro early years?

Thankyou in advance!

If there are already posts like this please do point me in the right direction.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I moved from secondary teaching to Upper KS2, then to KS1, then back to LKS2 and now to nursery.

It's easier to move to EYFS from a primary post, than to go straight in if you aren't qualified specifically in that age.

You could try supply in primary and ask specifically to do EYFS where possible.

But, be aware, schools don't always like EYFS staff to be part time. The children in nursery are often part time themselves, so if the teacher is as well they may well never have the same teacher twice in a week.

agathamorse and Ashleystar like this.