1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From secondary to adult teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Bonnie23, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I've posted many times about wanting to change my career. I love teaching, the students are brilliant but I don't feel like I can cope with the workload, pressure and stupid about of guilt placed on people anymore and this summer I've been so upset and anxious all summer about returning to work and the results; which weren't great.

I want to some how remain in teaching. It occurred to me to teach adults instead, or rather be an assessor such as an NVQ or SVQ assessor and hopefully progressing from there. I've looked up the subject and I have the relevant qualifications but I may struggle on the experience side. However the job looks interesting, I would get to meet lots of people, teaching would be more personalised and there seems to be a good support network.

Has anyone else gone down this route? How did you find it?

Thanks
    B x

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good luck.
    I do an adult evening class in maths (among other things) following my semi-retirement. It's good, the adults like learning. There's no way evening classes could deliver enough hours on their own to support someone without other streams of income.
    A quick google suggests that an NVQ assessor has more contact with learners than I had assumed. I would be wary of places offering training before you know how many jobs are actually available.
    If you've been a successful and flexible teacher you probably have the skills to be an NVQ assessor.