1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From Primary to Secondary History

Discussion in 'History' started by derftrams68, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Hi All
    I am currently working as a class teacher at primary level and am interested in going into secondary, teaching history.
    I have a PGCE and a MA in archeology.
    What kind of training do i need to do to make this transistion?
    Thanks in advance

2. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

My understanding is you don't need specific training, but you will need to convince schools that you have the necessary subject knowledge and understanding of pedagogy at secondary level. The Historical Association has some good online CPD units that might be useful, and you could talk about your reflections on these in your application letter.
    I think you could make a lot of the fact you've taught at primary level, as one of the biggest concerns at the moment (apart from Gove!) is ensuring effective transition between primary and secondary history. The majority of secondaries I've encountered tend to start from scratch, taking little account of what students have learned at primary school. You're well placed to suggest a more effective process.

3. Thanks katnoodle- that is a big help