1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From middle management to teaching role

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by scaryfairy, Mar 5, 2016.

1. scaryfairy

scaryfairy New commenter

Hi there

Does anyone have any advice on how to word the application letter for this? I have been head of a large faculty for six years now, at a school where I have an hour each way commute, and had a baby a year and a half ago. I feel at this point in time I need to focus on my teaching, which is what I am really passionate about- how would I get this across in a letter without it sounding like I cannot cope and just want to work there because the commute is easier.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Discuss how much experience you could bring. If you are willing to do any extra clubs etc, mention how close you live as being and advantage to the school because you will be available for whatever. Being bothered about teaching should be the most important thing-just my opinion, but anyone who agrees with me would want to work in a school where the head agrees too. Some still exist, I'm told.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there @scaryfairy , and here's hoping that that toddler is leaving you a few moments to breathe in the day!

Moving down to classroom teaching is not completely unknown. You could just say very briefly, towards the beginning of your letter of application or supporting statement, something along these lines, if this is what you are thinking of:

Having led and managed X members of staff in a large faculty for the last six years, I feel that I am now at the stage of my career where I would prefer to concentrate on pupil contact and classroom teaching, while still working collaboratively with my colleagues, and am thus applying for the post of Teacher of X in Z School.

Yes, in addition to setting out clearly how you fulfil the criteria in the Job Description and/or Person Specification (this will go in your E.S. in bullet points, but will still have the main areas in the letter or statement too), you will need to explain what you would do that could justify paying you a higher salary.

Because, of course, as well as losing your TLR, you could lose by falling down the non-existant salary scale.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

I would be cautious about saying this. You don't want them to think that your main interest in your school is its geographical location. Even if it is!

Have you found all the application advice articles in the Professional Advice Hub? Tag me @TheoGriff if you need pointing in the right direction.

Here's a sample

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

Letter of application for a teaching job

For any more help with the application, come to the Jobseekers Forum - just scroll down the forums list to find us.

Best wishes

4. scaryfairy

scaryfairy New commenter

Thank you both! Apologies for just getting back to this but the toddler has been more demanding that thirty teenagers!!
    @hhhh thank you - I am really hoping that their are heads out there who think that. Unfortunately I am not feeling that there are at the moment!
    @TheoGriff that's really encouraging with the opening paragraph as that is how I have started it! The pay will be interesting - and I would have to consider saying no as I am the main breadwinner - as its not clear what that will be but does state negotiable depending on experience. I am glad you put about the ES - would not have done that - its been a while since I have done this!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck

6. scaryfairy

scaryfairy New commenter

Thanks all for the advice!
    I got the job!! There's also potential for me to move up again if I want to.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done!

If you started a new thread called Dear Theo - i got that job! then you would give encouragement to others.

Best wishes

8. ms_kuk

ms_kuk New commenter

Thanks for this post. I'm in a very similar situation and have an interview next week and have been fretting about how to answer the question about stepping down, even if it is only for a few years.

9. san38

san38 New commenter

Thank you! I posted almost the same dilemma on job seekers before seeing this! Are they still paying you on the ups scale?

10. scaryfairy

scaryfairy New commenter

Yes being paid ups3 - when it came up in interview about stepping down it wasn't thought to be an issue - the head said it was quite common at the moment.

11. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks very much scaryfairy -that gives me some hope. I have resolved to put in my application and fingers crossed!

12. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

Hi,
    I've asked twice if i can move down the ladder and relinquish my UPS3 - I don't want to be a middle manager - never have. I (just) want to be a classroom teacher. Twice I've been told by the HT that it's not permitted. I would need to resign and then 'my' job advertised externally. I can apply but there's no promise I'd get the post.

You have been so fortunate. Good luck and best wishes!

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They will need to fill your management post, you see. Then once they've done that, it will depend on whether there is a vacancy in your subject area/year group for a teacher. If they just "demoted" you, and then had to appoint somebody externally to do your previous job, they would be overstaffed in your area.

Best wishes

14. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I know this is the case if somebody steps doen from a TLR, but does it have to be with sombody wanting to be paid lower down the scale? UPS does not imply a management position.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Quite right!

But the poster above says

so there is a role there.

Best wishes

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I read that, @TheoGriff. I was questioning the legality of it, should the poster be under STPCD.