1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

from mainstream to sen

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by waggy, May 19, 2019.

1. waggy

waggy New commenter

Hi everyone

I would like to move from mainstream teaching to sen, I have put in two applications but not been shortlisted for interview, obviously its because I lack experience, however i'm not sure how I can gain any

How do teachers make the transition from secondary to special needs, any advice would be welcomed

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

perhaps make sure your timetable for next year has classes on with high numbers on SEN; ask SENCO for advice/support; see if there is a free OU course on SEN issues etc

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Make sure that your application clearly explains why you want to make this move. Make sure you detail a good slug of work that you have done with SEN youngsters and how you have supported these children and made them able to learn.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You don’t specify the type of SEND ? Fist steps may be to indicate via PM targets an enthusiasm / interest for developing skills in your mainstream setting which involves working with complex needs students / genuine SEND ..... this necessitates a chat to your SENCO / LT i/c Inclusion / immediate line manager. Again access courses to get to grips with the theory which may underpin your practice ...

phlogiston likes this.