1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From FE to School

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by blueskiesmev, Apr 17, 2020.

1. blueskiesmev

blueskiesmev New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am currently the head of maths in an FE college, I have been in the post for around 6 months but I am not happy in the role although I have performed well and in my two probation meetings so far have been evaluated as 'excellent',

I am considering a move to a secondary school in a purely teaching role as I don't think I would have the relative experience for a role with any responsibility.

If there is any advice or information anyone could share it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BM

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Maths teachers are in demand. Presumably you have been teaching A-level, GCSE, and then some courses for students on vocational courses?

What's not to like in all that!

I myself moved from being Deputy Principal of a FE College to a school Headship; if I can do it, so can you!

Choose a school that suits you from what you can tell by the Ofsted Report, their website, and the local papers - do a Google search on the Head's name.

Write an application that does NOT say that you are trying to get out of FE, but that you are strongly attracted to their school because of A, B and C. Make sure that your application highlights exactly how you meet, and more, their requirements. Start with an executive summary - I have put a blank one in the Resources here on TES to save you faffing around with formatting. Download THIS to remind you of all that you need to do to prepare an effective application.

Any interview would most likely be distance, via Zoom, Skype or similar. There's a specific section in HERE on that type of interview, as well as general interview preparation.

I do not see this as a problem at all. Remember - think what attracts you to schools again - perhaps extra-curricular activities, more pastoral contact with students . . . you work it out.

Keep safe

blueskiesmev likes this.
  3. blueskiesmev

blueskiesmev New commenter

Thank you