1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From EYP to teacher

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by chrisnursery, May 18, 2019.

1. chrisnursery

chrisnursery New commenter

Hi I am new to this. I wondered if some one could give me some advice I am feeling really down today. I had applied to do a top up course to gain BA Hons so I could then go on to do PGCE and get a teaching qualification. I gained my EYP in 2013 and with lots of personal health issues with family members which have now hopefully come to an end have decided to go on to do top up. I received an email to say my application had been declined and withdrawn because I have a non honours degree. Where do I go from here? How do I gain a teaching qualification. I am a support assistant in a school covering Nursery and have done planning, PPA cover etc for this but feel I am not getting the recognition for all the hard work I do. I love my job but would like to achieve my goal of being a teacher.

2. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

This needs a bit of clarification.
    I think you’re saying you have a BA but not a BA Hons. I assume that’s how you got your EYP, as that’s a post grad qualification. What I don’t understand is you say you applied for a top up but got turned down for a PGCE, so what happened to the top up, or did you think you were going to do them concurrently?
    Go to the OU get a credit transfer and get the first degree you need, then apply for your pgce.

3. chrisnursery

chrisnursery New commenter

I don't have a BA. I did my eyp in 2013. I have applied to do the top up in IWCF and been declined saying that I had done a non honours degree and used my points in 2015. I was busy in and out of hospital at that time. I want to do a top up to gain my BA Hons to then go on to do pgce or another route to gain a teaching qualification. Does anyone have any other suggestions for routes after the eyp???

4. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

When talking about EYP do you mean early years professional or early years practitioner? The first is a post grad qualification the second a level 3. If you mean the level 3 there is no top up you have to do a degree. There are no short cuts without the degree only post grad do your options open up to different routes.

agathamorse likes this.