1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From England want to teach History in Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Arela, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Hi
    Please could someone give me some advise about teaching history in Scotland when you have trained in England? I have eight years experience and have had responsibility for GCSE and A Level History in a school of 2000 students. Does anyone know if this will stand me in good stead - how hard is it to get a history teaching job? Also will I be able to apply for any type of history job if accepted by the GTCS or do I have to do a probation year? If so what does this entail? Also, how much work does the Chartered Teacher training consist of - is it manageable with three under 7 children?
    If anyone has ANY tips to help me that would be great.

Thanks

2. If you're a GTCE qualified teacher of History in England there should only be a nominal 'probation'. GTCS are friendly and will advise, but most of it is on their website.
    You might want to consider the differences in syllabuses (not my subject so can't advise).
    :)

3. www.myjobscotland.com

4. Thanks very much. Will have a look and try my best not to get down-hearted!