1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

from beginner to GCSE in 8 terms

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ruthht, Jul 6, 2002.

1. over the past year i have been studying various techniques which will accelerate children through the examination process.
    moreover, my new strategy takes the beginner (yr7) to GCSE standard by easter yr9 with just 2 lessons per week in yr7 and 8, 3 per week in yr9.
    i have trialed the individual parts of the strategy with different classes - all with success. in september i am due to trial the entire 3-pronged approach with a group of middle abilty yr7s.
    i am very confident it will work but my HOD is very resistant (even though i have the head's full backing). i can't see the problem? what've we got to lose? last years results were as low as 28% - i joined in sep!
    if anyone would like any information about my 'approach' please post a message and i will email you the details.

2. over the past year i have been studying various techniques which will accelerate children through the examination process.
    moreover, my new strategy takes the beginner (yr7) to GCSE standard by easter yr9 with just 2 lessons per week in yr7 and 8, 3 per week in yr9.
    i have trialed the individual parts of the strategy with different classes - all with success. in september i am due to trial the entire 3-pronged approach with a group of middle abilty yr7s.
    i am very confident it will work but my HOD is very resistant (even though i have the head's full backing). i can't see the problem? what've we got to lose? last years results were as low as 28% - i joined in sep!
    if anyone would like any information about my 'approach' please post a message and i will email you the details.

3. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

This is also something I would like to try. I often feel that pupils get fed up with covering the same old stuff at GCSE. I'd love to receive details of your approach.
    mdlsoft@mdlsoft.co.uk

4. this is something we've been thinking about - any information on your experience would be gratefully received!
    amandatrusler@hotmail.com

5. I know that there are 2 schools in the Wigan LEA tha have been doing that with very good results, I don't know their names but I can try to find them for you. Both of them I think are Language College Status though. Are you following your own set of sow with no textbook?

6. As HoD at a school where all KS3 pupils study Fr/Gn or Fr/Sp, I would be interested in your ideas. Please feel free to e-mail at contacto@talk21.com. Thanks.

7. I would really like to know more about your ideas. I am the only language teacher in my small rural school and need all the help I can get!! Please contact me at sraseddon@hotmail.com

8. tell me more, pleeaasse !

9. Yes please send details of this as I am attempting to do GCSE Spanish from scratch with a group of year 10's in 2 years and I am always looking for new inspiration

10. I would love to know more about this please. It sounds just what I need.
    suse@epals.com

11. Hi Marcelasticklan
    I am a Colombian teacher. I am looking for a course to become a spanish teacher and also a job teaching advance conversation in spamish.
    I would apreciare any ideas or help.
    Marcela

12. Yes - please send details. We teach GCSE as a 2nd language starting from scratch in Year 10. Please contact me at
    extroadinaire@hotmail.com

Thank you!

13. Please could i have your technique!! I'm teaching GCSE to students in 2 years so would be really interested to know how to do it!!

Thanks

anna.grainger@ntlworld.com

14. Sounds fascinating. I have long wondered about the potential of this and would love to hear more

15. whoops forgot to send email address - I am definitely interested as I am teaching Spanish abinitio to GCSE at KS4
    Rachel.Garlick@btinternet.com

16. Hi, This is something very possible I believe too. I often have pupils who arreive in Y10 with no previous knowledge of french and the theory is to get them to IGCSE (much harder than GCSE). But here we have total freedom of curriculum and how to teach it, plus small classes which help. But am always ready to hear new ideas. My email is mrwillis73@yahoo.com
    Keep on trying - we all change with time - I never took much notice of Howard Gardener or even my senco, but now it forms an integral part of my thinking.
    Michael

17. Hello,

yes please would you send details of your scheme; it sounds really interesting.

ehr@bedales.org.uk