1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From Assistant to Deputy

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by missp67, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Do you think it's essential to have had an Ass't head role before applying for a Deputy role?
    Lisa

2. Do you think it's essential to have had an Ass't head role before applying for a Deputy role?
    Lisa

3. I think primary or secondary is the big question.

I didn't, but I work in a small primary where the only SMT are the Head and Deputy, so in primary jumping from a small TLR to deputy is fairly common. I imagine it could be very different in a secondary school.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It used to be the case that jumping to a deputy headship from a major HOD post was perfectly possible in secondary, but it is considerably less so now.

5. Most deputy head posts stipulate SLT experience in the job/person specs. I do know of one outstanding candidate that went from HoD to Vice Principal- but that was internal. It's hard enough getting shortlisted having had SLT experience. As a recent VP myself- I wouldn't have been really ready for the post without the time spent as an Assistant Principal- essential for working out lots of things you can't be taught- that you learn by being on SLT. The first Ofsted at SLT level was quite frankly scary- but then having gone through it as an Assistant Principal before VP made it seem less onerous. But everyone is different. However ready you THINK you are....it will still hit you like a truck (a nice one but a truck all the same)