1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

From agency to school...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by eggiegwin, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Hi all. I currently work supply as general cover and have been n the same school since Sept 2010. A few months ago I was 'chased' by a new agency and offered better pay. I went. Unfortunately neither myself or the school like the new agency and the school would like me to return in Sept and the school has said they will employ me (still supply) through the school. My question is this... how likely are the agency to try and charge the school an 'introduction fee'? My thoughts are that they didn't actually introduce me anyway and so would have no footing to do so. Am I right? Secondly i've been checking my employment contract and I'm supposed to leave 8 weeks before undertaking work at the school again without the agency? Does anyone have any ideas about I might get around this wihtout costing me or the school?
    I have to say it would a lot easier of the school would just put their money where their mouth is and employ me permanently, but I'm fairly sure that won't happen.
    I'm feeling particularly frustrated - all advice or any tips welcome. Thanks :)

2. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

Well I think technically they might have 'introduced you' as you said they chased you and you went - this constitutes an introduction I would think if you then worked for this school through the agency? Not sure if they will charge a fee but they might be entitled to (I am not entirely sure though). Technically I suppose you could leave the agency now and work for them in September directly - though not sure if the holidays would count as part of the 8 weeks? Tricky. Can I ask why you didn't just work direct for the school rather than sign up with a new agency at that point?

3. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

I had this problem with an agency and school where there were problems with daily rate. The school offered to employ me from another agency, but in the end I said no. Despite hating consultants and the way they operate, I said it was the consultant who ultimately got me the position, though it was my skills that sustained the role: consultants are just doing a job and deserve their commission. It's a agreement we all get into. Things got sorted out in the end. Be weary of schools that propose you lie to agencies, remember unless you are given a permanent role, the agents are your employers. Don't **** them off for temp' positions. Hope it gets sorted.

4. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

I don't understand how the new agency can say they introduced you... You were already at the school when you signed up with them!

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i would just go with the flow, if you like the school and get a post who cares about the small print in 6 months time?