1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fringe allowance query

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Limericklime, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Limericklime

Limericklime New commenter

An interesting role within a good school (a rarity I know!) has come up and I'd like to apply however although it offers a TLR it is two miles out of the London fringe allowance which I currently receive. It would hack into the TLR a fair way if I lose this so I'm wondering if it would be something that I could discuss with the school; it is something that they might keep in my wages? Or is this a pipe dream....?!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

@Limericklime Asking to be paid on a salary scale different from the rest of the school is a non-starter but of course as there are no national scales any longer it depends how much flexibility the school's pay policy gives them and how willing they are to negotiate. As long as you get to a final salary number that's acceptable to you it doesn't much matter how you get there.

If you are on STPCD in a local authority school does this rather obscure provision in STPCD help you?

40.5 A teacher who moves out of the Fringe Area, to anywhere but the Inner London Area or the Outer London Area, may continue to be paid on the Fringe Area range for so long as the teacher continues to be employed as a teacher in a post in which the salary is paid by the same authority.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's a very interesting quote from STPCD, @Rott Weiler ! Probably only schools in the Fringe are familiar with it.

Best wishes

4. Rott Weiler

I only found it by chance @TheoGriff when I did a pdf search on STPCD for 'fringe' and it popped up - I'd never noticed it before. Hence I called it obscure, although it will probably turn out to be obscure only to you and me, and well known to everyone else! ;)

I think 40.3, 40.4 and 40.5 only apply in schools where the LA is the contractual employer - ie Community and VC schools - and not in VA/Foundation schools where the governing body is the employer.

It's in a whole section I'd never noticed before:

40. Determination of applicable pay range

40.1. A teacher who is employed under a contract that normally requires work in the London Area but who is temporarily required to work elsewhere must continue to be paid in accordance with the pay range applicable to the teacher’s normal area of employment.

40.2. A teacher who on 31 August 2015 was being paid in accordance with one of the London Area pay ranges must continue to be paid in accordance with that scale or range notwithstanding that the teacher would not otherwise be entitled to it under the provisions of this Document, for so long as the teacher remains in the post held on that date.

40.3. A teacher who moves out of the Inner London Area may continue to be paid in accordance with the Inner London pay range for so long as the teacher continues to be employed as a teacher in a post in which the salary is paid by the same authority.

40.4. A teacher who moves out of the Outer London Area, to anywhere but the Inner London Area, may continue to be paid on the Outer London Area range for so long as the teacher continues to be employed as a teacher in a post in which the salary is paid by the same authority.

40.5. A teacher who moves out of the Fringe Area, to anywhere but the Inner London Area or the Outer London Area, may continue to be paid on the Fringe Area range for so long as the teacher continues to be employed as a teacher in a post in which the salary is paid by the same authority.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

6. Limericklime

Thanks for that - it would be a different authority (silly boundary rules!) but was hoping they might consider it so that I don't end up losing out financially... Hmm something to consider!

7. Rott Weiler

@Limericklime Don't ask, don't get! Put your case for being paid a little bit more because otherwise you'll end up with almost no increase in gross salary despite taking higher responsibilities. The worst that can happen is they say no! If you don't ask you can be sure they won't offer. If they want you enough and are willing to pay let them sort out where to fit you into the school's pay policy.

@TheoGriff is there one of your advice links for how to negotiate your pay?

8. Limericklime

@TheoGriff if such a document exists that would be really helpful! I have no idea how to approach such a conversation. This new role is in a job that is about three miles from my current school but and is possibly nearer to London then my current school but not included! :(

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, I'm afraid not.

Best wishes