1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Friendship Groups...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by orangeshortbread, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any ideas to help my to get this girl to be included with the others?

I have a little girl in my class (y1) who has no friends. She is always alone at play time and I always have to persuade the others to play with her when I am out on duty. When I am not out I often hear that she wanders round the playground by herself.

Last term I worked on getting her to ask others if she could join in with their games. Now she does that and they often say no.

She is a kind and helpful girl who would be a good friend to have and I'm not entirely sure why she gets so left out except that she is a little odd looking.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I hate the thought of her being so left out!

2. Does anyone have any ideas to help my to get this girl to be included with the others?

I have a little girl in my class (y1) who has no friends. She is always alone at play time and I always have to persuade the others to play with her when I am out on duty. When I am not out I often hear that she wanders round the playground by herself.

Last term I worked on getting her to ask others if she could join in with their games. Now she does that and they often say no.

She is a kind and helpful girl who would be a good friend to have and I'm not entirely sure why she gets so left out except that she is a little odd looking.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I hate the thought of her being so left out!

3. I always find this a tough one. You can't force children to be friends with other children or play with certain children. I also think that sometimes the more you force a child on a group the more they will want to avoid that child.

4. Firstly I'd address this issue within the classroom, by setting group tasks for about a week where possible, where she is placed with some "nice" kids. You can then supervise this and make sure that she is being included. You could also use this to talk and teach generally about the importance of always being nice to people and including everyone.
    After about a week, put your class into "play groups", say for a few days, and set them certain tasks like finding different natural things, or completing a puzzle during break and lunch times - let them know that teamwork is key - and give rewards to the best groups, this way they have to work with each other outside of class for a little while, so they can get to know her in this context too
    Otherwise, you could always buddy her up with someone, and ask for one nice child to try to look out for her in the playground, and to ensure that she is always included
    I hope this helps!