1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Friendship activities for PNI students

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by purplepixie, Apr 15, 2012.

1. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Hello!

I wonder if anyone could help me with my mind mapping? [​IMG] I am to teach a class of PNI pupils who are the more able in upper KS2. Their academic abilities range from P8 to L4 and their physical abilities range from limited movement and vocal communication to full faculties.

The remit of the lesson is to improve children's understanding of friendships and relationships through an interactive story. Finding a story isn't too tricky - its all in the execution! I currently teach mainstream so I'm more than usually nervous about this 20-minute lesson. The more I think about it, the more I realise that most of the responses I expect from the children in my class rely on them drawing/writing something on a mini whiteboard, holding something up, or of course the old-fashoined verbal response. This lesson will really challenge my ability to mix that up and I was hoping someone would help me bounce ideas.

My ideas so far include:
    -Having them hold & wear (with or without assistance) props and costumes; this can include selecting appropriate items and props to show understanding of a character's emotions
    -Matching activities with colours, "buttons", ribbons etc for parts of the story and showing understanding
    -Joining in with rhymes and repeated phrases

I know I'll need to aim questions appropriately at the various children, and they will be giving me responses in a variety of ways.

Can anyone throw out any additional ideas, or maybe even suggest a cracking story they've thought of? I do have a few I am picking between so I'm not struggling for a story, but y'know, every little helps [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Sorry but I'm really not sure what you men by a pupil with PNI. It's an acronym I've not come across except in relation to pregnacy (peri or post natal illness) or the Indonesian National Party (Partai Nasional Indonesia). So my answer may not help. Please forgive me if I’m totally out of order.

<font size="2"></font>Your ideas sound developmentally OK to me, but they may not all fit your stated objective. It depends on how you intend to do them and the story you use. Matching items from the story may help focus on the story facts and ensure they are listening but will it support their learning about friendships? In your story does the way the characters dress actually affect their feelings and friendliness? If not focussing the children&rsquo;s attention on the clothing can be misunderstood as &ldquo;what you wear makes you friendly&rdquo;. eg people with blue buttons are friendly, people with green shoe laces are bullies. (It&rsquo;s easy to get the wrong message when your comprehension skills are limited!)
    <font size="2"></font>At P 8 the pupils will be able to understand and learn from pictures and may have a few simple written words or symbols too so you could use pictures and symbols to support the emotions you want then to focus on. I would try do a bit of simple drama. Model defensive &ldquo;go away&rdquo; body language and they try it then model friendly open smiley body language etc. Try saying &ldquo;hello&rdquo; in different tones of voice, happy, friendly, angry, sad, scared etc. If you have access to mirrors get the children making different faces in the mirror to see what they are projecting. You could look at clear pictures faces and body postures showing moods and copying them, or sort them into friendly and unfriendly or worried or whatever (different ages and ethnicities taken from the net) You can link it all to the story quite easily.
    <font size="2"></font>Look at the resources on SEN teacher (www.senteacher.org) and search for &ldquo;emotions&rdquo; there are printable face fans, dice, face spinner, cards etc with different faces and symbols showing emotions which are really useful.
    <font size="2"></font>Also there is a fun &ldquo;making faces&rdquo; game on the BT website but you&rsquo;ll need to support this with a reader or a web reading programme for the pupils working below level 2.www.bt.com/learningandskills then select &ldquo;learning and skills / free resources/ then scroll through them until you find &ldquo;making faces&rdquo; There are some other really useful resources on there too.Hope this helps.

3. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Excellent!! Thank you so much!

Sorry, PNI=physical and neurological impairments. Cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy and others.

And by buttons I mean the sort you push, for example if someone did this, would you feel excited or frustrated? And let them "push a button" to respond as an alternative to speaking or writing. I can see how you were confused!! I should have been clearer! :)

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help & time!!

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Glad it was of some help, and thank YOU for explaining another set of initials for me.
    I was confused by the buttons, you're right. I usually think of them as switches (button switches, big and little macs, etc)
    A couple of further ideas for responses that don't involve writing that may be available to you in a special school:
    Do you have "Choose It Maker 2" programme on the computer? it's really easy to make resources using pictures, sounds and / or words for pupils to respond to by pressing switches. You can do loads of things for sorting on smartboard or publisher that pupils can use drag and drop with using a head mouse or mouse with sticky keys (depending on their phtsical ability. Also, do you have Sym writer? It's easy to make templates with words on that the children can then click on and write sentences onto their own document to produce written work without the need for spelling or using the keyboard.