1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

friends that make you feel inadequate

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by claire_owen, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hi. I go between thinking I am a rubbish teacher as I never quite managed to get that permanent job and so decided just to do supply to thinking I am a good teacher. This is a battle I have in my head every so often. I suffer from lack of confidence so seem to mess up at times when I need to show what I can do. Anyway recently I have been feeling good about myself I was offered long term supply been asked back to nice schools good feedback from ta s etc. Until talking to friend last night who was supplying and now has a job told me she is being put forward as a lead teacher in early years. I know you shouldn't compare and there will always be people better then others but all my teaching friends seem to be naturals at teaching and its taken me a while to get the hang of it. So once again I feel like rubbish surrounded by these friends who are fab. It would be nice to have someone just ok to good like me.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Believe me many of us on supply suffer these doubts from time to time, so don't worry if you occasionally have such thoughts-usually after a particularly bad day on supply or when one hasn't had any work for a while.
    The other point is most 'good' teachers learn their craft by teaching, very few teachers are naturals in the first couple of years. Good teaching involves building up a relationship with the pupils & supply doesn't give one much opportunity to do this. Your friend with a job has had the opportunity, but you could do as well if not better given the same opportunity.
    Teaching (particularly on supply) is really tough for everyone out there in the present climate, so hang on in & don't beat yourself up over what you can't change, just do your very best whenever you have work, keep applying for posts, you may yet be able to post 'Dear Theo I got the job!' on Jobseeker's forum & get your own shiny star!

3. Hi claire
    Be wary of teachers who burst with confidence. The best teachers I have met are the ones who reflect on what they do, constantly try to do it better and look at other teachers and learn from them, sometimes thinking, "She does it so much better than me".
    The teachers who think they know it all, are just that (know-it-alls).
    However, here's the rub, being a good teacher is not the same as being a successful teacher (career-wise)!
    Good luck with your long-term.

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'm on long term supply at the moment, i've been at this school since september. And actually, when compared to this time last year in a contact role, I feel much better about teaching. Thats split between what i feel about teaching, how i feel my teaching is going and my ability to get the kids to understand things.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You seem to be meeting all the right criteria for being a bloody good supply teacher (especially the all-important TA seal of approval). Remember you're working in a far more flexible and resourceful manner than a permanent teacher, and you're being performance managed every day, as opposed to a measly once a year. Your time on supply will stand you in good stead for the permanent post when it comes.

Yes, a few people have a natural flair for teaching, and the rest of us have to work at it. Remember however that a fair few of these so-called excellent teachers are boring 26 hour a day teaching drones and the rest of us have lives ;-)

6. Hey, I'm (according to teacher friends, and cover organising people at school) one of those teachers with a natural flair for it IT MEANS NOTHING! I still cycle between feeling great because I've got work (day to day) or been asked back and feeling **** because I've only managed to get 3 interviews and not got any of them! The long term I've got now is part time 121 tuition. - SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST LUCKY xx

7. I think Eleanor Roosevelt once said "No-one can make you feel inferior without you giving them permission. Never give it!"
    I too do supply since starting a family and of course I come up against all kinds of people who make comments about what I do, what they do, rubbish pay (mine, they're in business and earning stacks...)
    It made me decide to hold my head high and just get on with it, be cheerful when work appears or when it doesn't. Take cookies or doughnuts in to the staffroom you particularly like. It all helps...