1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Friendly Competition Between Bubbles

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JackT94, Jun 2, 2020.

1. JackT94

JackT94 New commenter

As part of the PE department in our primary school, before lockdown I had just introduced a intra-school house games competition which would have run until the end of the school year. But obviously due to everything that is going on, that has had to come to a halt.
    I was just wondering whether anyone had introduced some kind of games or competition that can be played in your bubbles but that they could also compete against other bubbles?

I may be clutching at straws a bit here, but if anyone has had any ideas it'd be much appreciated if you wouldn't mind sharing :)

Jack

2. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

If it's anything like my school, you won't be on the playground in the same vicinity and/or the same time as any other bubble. Could it be something like the most keepie uppies or star jumps or furthest javelin distance earned by the whole group in a given amount of time or anything like that and the adult keeps scores. It could be a school/year group or just individual bubble group competition on a weekly basis.

JackT94 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Thing is, the bubbles are year group based.
    So if it is a competition between bubbles you'd need to find a way that year 6 don't win everything. Rec vs Yr1 vs Yr6 is going to be tricky.

You could do some races within the bubbles and things like start jumps could be done at home as well, so not just bubble based, but whole school.

JackT94 likes this.
  4. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I think quite a few schools have more than one bubble for each year.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

True
    Forgot that...:oops:

6. crocked

crocked New commenter

We're trying to do PB type activities individually based on multiskills type activities
    like shuttles and target throws
    . This could be averaged out (we've got different sized groups) and compared to another group so that everyone doing their bit adds to the team score. Nothing groundbreaking I realise!

JackT94 likes this.
  7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We award prizes on our sports day for based on most improved personal best from the previous year, as well as overall best/fastest/furthest/whatever. But you could easily incorporate this quickly by measuring improvements over the rest of the term.

So you were to get all the children to participate in events (running, throwing a bean bag, javelin, chest throws, jumping, etc) during PE lessons, and record their best achievements, and then teach the skills over a number of weeks, you could then have a sports day at the end, where the children compete in the events and their results then used to see who's made the biggest improvement in each event. Points for first, second and third then used, with a winning 'bubble' at the end.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.