1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fried Chicken

Discussion in 'Personal' started by OsmiumPhazer, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Fried chicken.
    I love it you love it but why does it feel like I am walking into a inner city youth court, jobcentre or pound shop whenever I pay a visit to a fried chicken takeaway?
    Has the ubiquitous fried chicken become a legitimate ‘legal high’ for that disenfranchised class, the so called NEETS? Where once the poor and disenfranchised may have taken comfort from eating bread and drippings or ‘scraplings’ from a fish and chip shop, now the cheap and ubiquitous fried chicken reigns supreme.
    Today I witnessed the arrest of a ‘fellow diner’ and listened whilst a heavily pregnant young woman ranted how the ‘social’ deducted £20 from her JSA (Expletives deleted). Meanwhile a young family familiar with said individuals sat eating fried chicken for their ‘tea’

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

And the relevance of this is?

3. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Have you never heard the Woody Allen sketch from the 1960's asking his newly acquired black neighbours if they eat fried chicken. Equally offensive.

4. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Do you not know that KFF breed featherless chickens so that they don't have to pluck them!!!! Arrgghhh - find a recipe and make your own fried chicken PLEASE!!!

5. The point is how (for me at least) the humble chicken has become ubiquitous, plentiful and cheap it seems that its the default food of choice in the big cities for the young. Apparently there are billions of chickens on this planet, bar far the most numerous poultry. It is said that modern production techniques now make it possible for just ONE person to care for over 25,000 chickens. Also It takes the birds only three months to reach market weight, no wonder it is cheap and plentiful and the quick and easy ‘legal high’ of choice for our youths

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I don't love it. I don't even like it. What are you trying to say in your post? That you are a better class of customer than everyone else who visits fried chicken takeaways? Just wondering.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I don't. I've never ever tried it.

Strange post.

8. We don't All love it, but they seem to be everywhere at least in East/South/West London.
    Of course I am a better class, I never eat the chicken with my hands I insist on proper metal cutlery not plastic

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

No they don't

10. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I agree, they don't breed featherless chickens. But the majority of workers treat the chickens with complete indifference and lack of empathy, and the company is far more concerned with maximising profit than with animal welfare. Secret filming by undercover reporters has led to numerous exposes of the ill treatment of chickens by KFC suppliers.
    http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/
    I've never had fried chicken myself (I went veggie as a kid, and I don't think KFC and its imitators were around then), but do think if meat eaters want fried chicken then they should buy a free range chicken and cook it themselves.

11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

KFF - Kentucky Fried Fish
    Definitely featherless ...

12. My father in law raises chicken in the countryside they are beautiful creatures, they’re bold and very friendly but I am sorry to say that I enjoy eating their brethren.

13. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Kentucky Fried Chicken arrived in the UK in my late teens. It wasn't at all bad then, but ten or so years later when I took my daughter there for a treat, I was disappointed. Later in life, I bought some in a motorway service area, because frankly, I was starving and it was the only thing that showed any prospect of being appetising. It was a big mistake. Aside from eating a mouthful and a half and a few of the chips, I remained hungry.
    The really sad thing about fried chicken, is that it can be so good if you do it properly. I make it at home from time to time. I don't fry it, because it isn't necessary, just coat the chicken pieces and bake them.

14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Errr, well its not fried chicken then, is it ...

15. All fast food seemed tastier when I was child, because taking into account increased inflation it was too expensive for my family. Twenty six years ago I used to buy a donor kebab in a burger bun for £1.30 after my karate lesson, a major expense for me at the time. Today I can buy 6 chicken wings, fat chips and a fizzy drink for £2.50 where I live.

16. Proper fried chicken is fried under pressure....I know the feeling.

17. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Slither back under your rock, osmiumdickwad or whatever your name is, and troll us no more.

18. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I thought Angie was right, I must admit. I too had heard that KFC (they can't call it Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore) bred deformed chickens. In fact, my mother was saying just the other week that she'd watched a TV programme about it .... so it must be true! [​IMG]

19. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Yes they can, they just chose not to - and they make numerous references to 'chicken' in their menues and on their website - they simply adopted KFC as a marketing move in line with the modern trend to have shorter 'catchier' names and to de-emphasise the 'fried' aspect in today's supposed healthier times.
    It is a continuing source of wonder to me that supposedly intelligent people believe the most god-awful tripe without doing even the most basic research, or even conducting the most basic amount of thought.

20. er don't you have anything else to worry about?