1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fried bread!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumbleweed, Aug 25, 2019.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Every now and then I catch an episode of Four in a bed. In today's episode, one contender had previously moaned about lack of fried bread for breakfast. Today's host, said we'll check out a recipe for fried bread.

What? A recipe? Am I missing something here? ( the chef was Michelin starred)

In response at breakfast, the recipient of said bread was impressed that the hotel had 'sourced' the fried bread.

Surely sourcing fried bread needs a walk to the bread bin and a splash of some oil?

So does anyone have a 'recipe' for fried bread?

( can't stand the stuff myself, maybe I need a recipe)

2. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

With fried egg and brown sauce, but that's the limit of it.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Fry the bread in the fat released from fried bacon. Simples!

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

chop up half an onion small and fry it. Add several slices of old bread, ripped into chunks. fry well, add an egg, stir until the egg is set. serve with what ever you have, salt, vinegar, bovril, ketchup. cheap. filling. one of my staples.

Shedman and blue451 like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Agree about fried in the fat off the bacon, but even better if tomatoes have been fried in that too, then served up on top of the fried bread!

(Greasy breakfasts out always give you half a giant pithy tomato that has sat under the grill for one minute. Mushy fried in bacon greasy tomatoes are the thing. Tangy!)

Marshall likes this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

You simply can't do friend bread in oil:(

As everyone has said - bacon and tomato juices or dripping from the meat that you keep in the fridge!

I haven't had it for years.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This is the whole point of fried bread, not to waste any of the breakfast ingredients, use it to soak up bacon and sausage fat. It's a rare but much appreciated treat in our house.

Poncy cheffy stuff is very irritating. I remember some years ago hearing Gordon Ramsey on the radio giving a recipe for the "perfect" fry-up. Everything was unnecessarily complicated and long winded taking loads of time and also lots more washing up. The sausages for instance had to be fried slowly for some time (how we do them, much better when put on first and cooked slowly), but then the frying pan with sausages in had to be put into a low oven for another half an hour or more. So apart from the time and planning, a dedicated sausage frying pan needed as well as an oven big enough to fit it that couldn't be used for anything else.

I'm convinced a lot of this stuff is used to justify the prices and set them up for tv programmes, books and new restaurants, there's plenty of "tricks", but their main purpose is not to provide the best food.

agathamorse and Lalad like this.
  8. Ivartheboneless

"Friend bread" (sic). Very Freudian!!

Marshall likes this.
  9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'm veggie so won't be eating any in bacon fat.
    I won't be eating any in fact, but surely it isn't rocket science.

I was asked once how you poach an egg without a poacher...

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I just can't eat it any more unfortunately

11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Where is the triple 'like' button?

agathamorse, Marshall and nizebaby like this.
  12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Chefs have to justify their existence by making up new takes on old favourites. These seldom work as well as the originals.

13. Ivartheboneless

Yep. Just watch any cheffy nonsense on telly. Or read recipes in national papers.

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I will say that I have been told that if you toast the bread first it is always crisp. That is not always the case if you don't. I was told this years ago, but we don't do a fry-up ever, so I have never tried to see if it's true.
    I do like fried bread if I'm at a B&B or a hotel.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Thick white sliced bread (or thin, but must be white) fried in bacon fat / lard, served with fried egg and baked beans, and a huge glass of ice-cold milk

agathamorse likes this.
  16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

To be fair, a decent chef can work miracles, and I've every tespect for the good ones.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

You forgot quick call to A&E to put them on stand by for your heart attack.;)

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

We sometimes had something my parents called French toast. It involved toasting one side of a slice, then buttering the other side before putting it under the grill. Or if cooking it with a toasting fork on the coal fire, you buttered it before any toasting.

I have no idea whether the French cook toast this way, any more than I know whether the Chinese are prone to whispering. I know the French don't play French cricket.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A pan that has water in the lower section and eggs in buttered holders above it actually makes coddled eggs, not poached ones.

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I always understood French toast to be bread dipped in egg and fried (both sides) in butter. Dredge in sugar for a sweet version.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019