1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Friday P5 MFL lessons! Give me strength

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by surfblue33, Feb 28, 2020.

1. surfblue33

surfblue33 New commenter

I have this Y8 class (who are not going to do languages as a GCSE option) who every fortnight on a Friday P5 play up very badly. Their behaviour is atrocious and I end up sending quite a few to the recovery centre every time, and going into my weekend feeling utterly deflated. It’s literally standard every fortnight on a Friday and it’s those moments where the self doubts kick in.
    Am I a good teacher? Am I resilient enough? Am I actually cut out for this job?
    Does that ring any bells with anyone?

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Judge yourself on the successful lessons you have through the rest of the week. Friday afternoon, Y8 who will not take the subject further, this is a dead end group and you have to teach them languages. They'd play up regardless who was standing at the front. Just keep enforcing your school's disciplinary procedures, keep your cool and count down the remaining lessons you have with them.

You're half way through the year, you have them once a fortnight so you can't have more than 9 or 10 lessons left. Grit your teeth and see it through. Don't let one class drag you down when you've got a host of other students looking to you to teach them a subject many of them will enjoy. Good luck.

TheoGriff, Penguin47 and agathamorse like this.
  3. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Do you have a computer room you could book for this lesson? They could do some work on linguascope or if you have Kerboodle do some of the video comprehension tasks. They don't see this as work. Or you could get them to make a poster/PowerPoint to explain a grammar point they have learned.

If you don't have access to a computer room, how about getting them to make puzzle books/games to test vocabulary, sentence structures etc that they can then use for the last 15 minutes of a lesson when they've done the work you want them to do.

TheoGriff likes this.