1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fresh pineapple

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by giraffe, May 15, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Has anyone else noticed how beautifully sweet the pineapples are this year? I've had several without that tongue-corroding enzyme at all.

Best way to serve pineapple - use a cutter that takes out the flesh and leaves the skin intact, Break up the flesh and add some fresh, peeled, sweet orange segments.
    Sprinkle on some finely chopped fresh mint and mix in a quarter teaspoonful of vanilla paste. Stir it all up and return it to the pineapple shell. Mmmmmmmmm!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Has anyone else noticed how beautifully sweet the pineapples are this year? I've had several without that tongue-corroding enzyme at all.

Best way to serve pineapple - use a cutter that takes out the flesh and leaves the skin intact, Break up the flesh and add some fresh, peeled, sweet orange segments.
    Sprinkle on some finely chopped fresh mint and mix in a quarter teaspoonful of vanilla paste. Stir it all up and return it to the pineapple shell. Mmmmmmmmm!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Great pics Giraffe.
    I like the idea of the pineapple cutter. That's an implement that I want to own!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Cut pineapple in half vertically.
    Scoop out flesh and chop.
    Return to half shell, top with sorbet (mango or raspberry best).
    Cover with meringue (like baked alaska) and bake.
    Yummy scrummy!

5. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

We had a bbq at the weekend and I mixed some fresh pineapple, mango, melon and strawberries with a small amount of some pineapple & sweet chili sauce my friend had made, left them for a bit and then put the fruit on skewers and onto the bbq. It was GORGEOUS!

6. Fresh pineapple is also yummy cooked, caramelised with a touch of sugar and butter if you like, to go with duck

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

bought a pineapple at the weekend-was wondering what to do with it. Am going to try the baked Alaska suggestion.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Ah, yes I used to love it done that way. Used to pick the chunks out of the pan with a coctail stick and have the divine juices trickling everywhere.
    Trying to be all healthy at the mo' (although probably won't last long)

9. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

I really wished I like pineapple. I love the look of them. I bought one last week for friends coming round. Decided to give it another 'go' but quite honestly I don't like the taste. However when I order sweet & sour chicken from chippy I can quite happily eat 'around' the pineapple.

10. My hands can't cope with that [​IMG]
    I spent years thinking I hated pineapple. Then I tried some by accident and decided I love it.
    I get my grocer to chop mine for me [​IMG]

11. dozymare1957

Pineapples are on offer in Waitrose and I was tempted to buy two today. How do I know if they're ripe?

12. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Sniff them, they should have a sweet, pineappley smell. If they don't smell of much they're not ripe.

13. dozymare1957

Thanks PC. They don't smell of anything. I've put one out in the sunshine today to see what happens.
    I've checked and see that the store that shall not be named is open to day and they sell pineapple cutters. Should I venture out?

14. take the skin off and rub with salt then cut into slices

15. dozymare1957

I'm really curious about this one. What does this do?