1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Frequency of NQT observations?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MillyAlice, Oct 20, 2015.

1. MillyAlice

MillyAlice New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm just casting feelers out- how often is it 'normal' or 'correct' for a school to observe its NQTs? I am working in a school that I'm happy with, and I don't really mind being observed, but in a seven week half term I've been observed five or six times. This seems like rather a lot! I am not the only NQT, the others have the same frequency and last year's NQT bunch report similar, which silenced my 'it must be because I'm awful' alarm bells! I feel it may be due to the school being due the O word and being Requires Improvement- I'm told that lack of observation was among the previous concerns, so perhaps it's just to show improvement thus wise?
    Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated!

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I am an ex-NQT mentor. Our approach is to observe as needed. So if an NQT was struggling with a class or a topic or whatever, someone would agree to observe in order to help. There is an in-school requirement for the mentor to observe at least twice in a term, and for SLT or possibly HoD to do the same (we treat this a bit flexibly to cope with the availability of the people concerned). But I would add that we would also have a strong idea of what was going on anyway, as mentor/HoD might pass down the corridor, or drop in, or team-teach a topic.
    The general view is, we want these NQTs to succeed, so we need to provide the support they might need, and we need to generate sufficient evidence to convince ourselves that the NQTs meet the Standards.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I observe my NQT half termly in order to provide evidence towards meeting objectives & hitting the standards. Outside of these I am happy to go in and observe if requested with a particular focus, as a supportive measure or to update targets. Near weekly observations seems excessive and I don't see how this is considered supportive.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Just to add to my previous post: haven't these observers anything better to do? Making the coffee or something? They are making things far too difficult for themselves!