1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French - useful phrases for teachers

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by decj, Jan 22, 2011.

1. decj

decj New commenter

Hello everyone.
    I teach KS2 French and would love to be able to refer to a list of the common phrases a teacher might want to say to their class, such as 'Don't forget your homework,' or 'You've worked hard today,' that sort of thing. I can tell them to sit down, listen, look etc, but would like to add a few other phrases to my repertoire. Is such a list published anywhere, please?
    Thank you.

2. decj

decj New commenter

Hello everyone.
    I teach KS2 French and would love to be able to refer to a list of the common phrases a teacher might want to say to their class, such as 'Don't forget your homework,' or 'You've worked hard today,' that sort of thing. I can tell them to sit down, listen, look etc, but would like to add a few other phrases to my repertoire. Is such a list published anywhere, please?
    Thank you.

3. funambule

funambule New commenter

TTS produce a flip book of phrases for teacher use and aCD to help with pronunciation if necessary. Specifically for KS2. Also available in Spanish and German.

4. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

5. decj

decj New commenter

Thank you to you both. Will check these out.

6. What are you doing teaching a language if you don't know things like this? What a fraud! Is that what children and parents can expect now in English schools? My amazed Continental colleagues will now be able to understand all the accusations of dumbing down, and why England has fallen behind in recent ratings. Soon they will be asking whether, if they go to a doctor here, they will be seen by someone who needs to check an anatomy chart before proceeding.

7. VFS

VFS

so you're perfect at what you're doing? don't think this comment is fair and it shows you haven't thought about it
    1. at secondary schools most language teachers have to teach 2 languages, although many only studied one of them at university level - and can be brilliant at it because they have the necessary skills and aren't afraid to ask colleagues to help out in areas they're not as secure in (ie classroom language)
    2. the government programme of making learning of a foreign language compulsory in Primary schools has led to many primary school teachers having to teach a language (whether they wanted to or not) - simply because there aren't enough language teachers for primary/the money isn't available to employ them. anything wrong with them asking for help? the situation isn't their fault.
    I'm German myself, teaching German (all ages) and French - yes! - at KS3 level, and by the way I did ask my colleagues for useful French classroom language myself when I started and don't think it makes me an unqualified teacher/my level of French not sufficient.
    Although sometimes I like to go on a rant on how much better everything is in Germany/the continent myself (oh it's so good to have a rant sometimes), the truth is it's never really better anywhere else as a whole, there's positives and negatives everywhere, and anyone saying anything else is just a bit ignorant in my view...
    What did I want to say? As necessary as qualifications are, they're not always everything. When it comes to education, I'd rather be taught by an open-minded, well-meaning person than by a well-qualified narrow-minded one (and I'm not saying you're the latter!!!!).

8. VFS

VFS

so you're perfect at what you're doing? don't think this comment is fair and it shows you haven't thought about it
    1. the government programme of making learning of a foreign language compulsory in Primary schools has led to many primary school teachers having to teach a language (whether they wanted to or not) - simply because there aren't enough language teachers for primary/the money isn't available to employ them. anything wrong with them asking for help? the situation isn't their fault. and even when you've studied French to a high level it doesn't mean you necessarily know the best way of saying sth in the classroom...
    2. also at secondary schools most language teachers have to teach 2 languages, although many only studied one of them at university level - and can be brilliant at it because they have the necessary skills and aren't afraid to ask colleagues to help out in areas they're not as secure in (ie classroom language)
    I'm German myself, teaching German (all ages) and French - yes! - at KS3 level, and by the way I did ask my colleagues for useful French classroom language myself when I started and don't think it makes me an unqualified teacher/my level of French not sufficient.
    Although sometimes I like to go on a rant on how much better everything is in Germany/the continent myself (oh it's so good to have a rant sometimes), the truth is it's never really better anywhere else as a whole, there's positives and negatives everywhere, and anyone saying anything else is just a bit ignorant in my view...
    What did I want to say? As necessary as qualifications are, they're not always everything. When it comes to education, I'd rather be taught by an open-minded, well-meaning person who's willing to continue learning than by well-qualified narrow-minded ones who think they already know it all (and I'm not saying you're the latter!!!!).

9. So Primary Heads now have the right, and the inclination, to require you to teach any subject they say, regardless of whether you have any knowledge of it? And they will instigate disciplinary or contractual proceedings in the firm belief that the LA or Ofsted or the DfE won't disown them the minute they realise what a gift it will be for the media ever-ready to show what a bunch of loons Heads and the Education hierarchy all are?
    Aahhh.I taught 3 +EFL to A-level or beyond, and must assume from the many posts I've seen in these Forums that I'm better qualified than their authors to teach beginners in 3 more. But, no, I'm not perfect, and always said when I didn't know something, because it's important for pupils/students to understand that no-one, inc their teachers, knows everything, even in a narrow field. Many teachers, I have been told, prefer to cover up. I wonder what these teachers would say if asked, by parent or pupil, what qualifications they had for what they were teaching.

10. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

It's only in this country that we are so obsessed with target language. I was educated in Switzerland, where I learned three foreign languages to fluency, and only one teacher at secondary used to speak to us in the target language, and that is because she was a native speaker. Didn't stop me from making really good progress in all languages. Not sure we should really judge someone on their teaching ability just because they want to cover their bases with routine instructions in the TL.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

Back to OP:
    have you found what you need?
    PM me if not
    H

12. decj

decj New commenter

Omg! What have I started?! I'm not even going to respond to the last few comments - not worth my time.
    Henriette, thank you. I have now started using an on-line translator, which is serving the purpose.
    Thank you to all (supportive) posters.

13. Oooo, decj - I dont advise the use of the online translator. They give literal translations and more often than not its gobbledy-gook!
    Send Henriette a message. And dont be afraid to ask for advice and help. The children will benefit as much as you will.
    Sometime posters get a bee in their bonnets, dont be afraid to ask for advice and help. The children will benefit as much as you will. As you say, dont respond to the carping [​IMG]
    So, why not take Henriette up on her offer?

14. decj

decj New commenter

Thanks derekdalek I will. Have also discovered today that parents of a child in the school are French, so they'll be a good resource too.

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree online translators often come up with some very peculiar language. Just try putting what they tell you into the translate into English sometimes & see.

16. decj

decj New commenter

derekdalek - have emailed henriette. Thanks.

17. Could you possibly help me with such useful phrases as: Well done, Good work, Very good, Excellent for marking books

Many thanks

18. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Fraud? That's rather rude, isn't it? It is not at all unusual for primary teachers to be a teaching some foreign language even if they are not qualified to do so. It is a situation not unique to England.

"England has fallen behind..."? Er.. you need to look at PISA carefully. Or are you just trolling?

19. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Here are some:

Asseyez-vous

Levez-vous

Regardez

Ecoutez bien

Travaillez avec un partenaire

Travaillez par groupes de quatre

Ouvrez vos cahiers

Fermez vos cahiers

Connectez-vous (à Internet)

Allumez votre ordinateur/tablette

Un peu de silence, s?il vous plaît

Trouvez la page?

Levez la main

Répétez, s?il vous plaît

Bravo !

N?oubliez pas vos devoirs

Utilisez votre dictionnaire

20. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I wonder if what you say about TL use in Britain is true, Noémie. French colleagues I have met over the years pretty much all worked under the assumption that TL use was the norm. That's not to say they were dogmatic about its use all the time.

But you are no doubt living proof that various methods work!