1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

French title capitalisation tool

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by fleur37, Aug 6, 2020.

1. fleur37

fleur37 New commenter

I'm looking for a French title capitalisation tool. In English, I use this: <https://capitalizemytitle.com>, but the rules for capitalising English and French titles are obviously very different, so I'm looking for a French equivalent. By titles I mean more book titles, film titles, etc. rather than headings in a text. Thank you.

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Can't Word handle this if you have French proofing tools installed? It already does a good job with French punctuation, automatically inserting the spaces required before colons, semicolons, question marks and exclamation marks. Just type in the French text, make sure Word knows it is French, select what you want capitalised and capitalise it with the "Aa" tool in the HOME tab.

3. fleur37

fleur37 New commenter

No, Word doesn't do what I'm looking for. I'm specifically asking about titles of films, books, etc. There're different rules in English and French about how to capitalise these.
    Say for example, if in English, you take the film title "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold", using the tool I mentioned, if I type in "the spy who came in from the cold", it can immediately convert it for me to "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" (the correct capitalisation - under Chicago anyway, as there're variations). If you type "the spy who came in from the cold" into Word, Word doesn't know you're talking about a film and it will just capitalise the first letter, so "The spy who came in from the cold", which in English is incorrect.
    In French, title capitalisation is different. So for example, it's La vie est un long fleuve tranquille, but L'Homme qui rit, but La Belle et la Bête, etc.
    So I'm looking for a tool like the one I've linked to in English but for French that will automatically create the right capitalisation for me for book titles and so on.